Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Lone Wolf Sit and Climb....history. >

Lone Wolf Sit and Climb....history.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lone Wolf Sit and Climb....history.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lone Wolf Sit and Climb....history.

I posted a mini review of the Lone Wolf SC a while back. I just put a full season in this stand and feel I gave it a more than fair chance.

I decided that this stand just didn't meet my needs. I know I'll take a beating from the fan club of this stand and honestly, I can see where some are coming from. However, for the way I hunt, it was just a miserable piece of equipment to drag into the woods.

Here's my take.

The stands selling point is its quietness hooking up, climbing and while on stand. I will say that it definitely is the quietest stand I've used. But after that, the advantages end there.

Packing the stand, IMHO, isn't all that great. Unless you go out and buy several rolls of camo tape or other stuff to cover areas where the top section contacts the platform, it will make noise when you unpack or pack it. Once its all together, and you add the bungie, its fine.

More importantly for me was the fact that I folded it flat when packing and it was just one more thing I had to screw with at the tree in the morning.

One of the huge issues for me was the weight of the stand. My came in at 21lbs. Not 20 like they said. Even at 20, it was still 2lbs heavier than my Summit Cobra.

Sure the stand packs flat, but for me, it didn't make a difference. I strap my daypack onto the stand and it is going to stick out anyway. The fixed bars of most stands stick out the same distance anyway.

The comfort of the stand is horid. I've always been one that didn't want to get out of a tree. With this stand, I couldn't wait to get out. I realize this stand is built for hunting, not napping. But I need a stand I can stay in all day. The Lone Wolf, even with the foot rest kit, for me, was a torture chamber. The seat section is very narrow and dug into my hips. I'm not a very big guy either.

I think the biggest factor for me getting rid of the stand was the stability. On larger trees, that platform shifted on my several times. The teeth section is too narrow and there wasn't enough teeth biting into the tree. I've never been spooked in a stand like this one.

I took the stand back to Cabelas. Hats off to that company. I exchanged the stand for a new Summit Bushmaster. All I wanted was a light, stripped down climber with no bells and whistles. The Bushmaster weighed in at 17.84lbs on the same scale I weighed the LW on. It's more comfortable and I can setup and climb much faster with it. If you use a Summit long enough, you get the hang of them and can climb very quietly. I've climbed many mornings and had deer under me within 15min. So for me, its a none issue.

I'm not in no way knocking the LW. Different strokes for different folks. I've read comments where people who hear you have a Lone Wolf tells them that they're a hardcore hunter and such. It doesn't fit my needs and I'll hunt longer and harder out of a Summit.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:37 AM
Typical Buck

How dare you bash LW like that!!

Just kidding. Everyone has there preferences I guess. I have a Summit and a Lonewolf. It depends where I hunt when it comes down to choosing what stand I use. One thing I did with my Hand Climber LW was I applied camo felt tape where the platforms touch. Tape cost about $3-$5. I made my own modified packing straps so its more comfortable to carry, and it distributes the weight with a day pack on the back (Grandma gets some of the credit too... she is head of my sewing operations).

If I were to choose one, however, I would go with my LW. Just my preference I guess. Just like a bow.

Its good to have reviews like this. Stands are a big investment that play a big part in your hunt.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad you got your stand situation worked out. I found the mesh seat and the wide option to work for me on my LW. Summits are very good stands too.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Spike

It's rated to 350#'s you better be one narrow assssed 300#er. I weigh 225 and it's the most uncomfortable stand I have ever sat in. Pure torture! Belts though quiet scary against square edge tubing. It weighs 4 lb's more than the advertised weight from the bowhunter supply I bought it from!

The platform for your feet looks cool, but that is the only positive. Got a viper, n some others all better!
Old 12-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw the set up instruction video on the LW site, looks a freakin nightmare , I also dont see how it can be made to be totally quiet with all that exposed metal and no real way to tape it up. drop or bump one thing on that puppy and its DING!!!! city, no thanks. I also bought a summit from cabelas too, same as The BM but it came w/ a shooting rail for 150$ ,got it for gun hunting but even though it hooks up to the tree nice and easy, it doesnt climb any where near as good as my API and the teeth are rounded, not pointy so it slips on all but the softest bark. its also loud as hell and it tends to stick together when you go to pull the two sections apart. I guess Ill stick w/ my API for now but when I finally retire it, I think Ill try a timbertall theyre only 14lbs and have a self leveling sytem. mabye cabelas will carry them so I can return it if it sucks too.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
I also dont see how it can be made to be totally quiet with all that exposed metal and no real way to tape it up. drop or bump one thing on that puppy and its DING!!!!.
Its not loud at all. it has a protective coating on the platform. there is very little metal exposed.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sportsman22
Its not loud at all. it has a protective coating on the platform. there is very little metal exposed.
never mind then, ma bad
Old 12-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just am seriously dissapointed in the LW. I got it on the recommendation of others and thought I had my last stand. I gave it a very fair shake in my opinion and it just simply doesn't do what I need it to. IMO, there is no comparison for ease of setup and climbing of the Summits. I'm more of a hand climber guy and I the LW guys told me I couldn't use the sit and climb as a hand climber. They said it would tweak the top frame eventually. That, to me, tells me they aren't as sturdy as they should be.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

The LW sit and climb, like any other stand requires a certain amount of attention to make it quieter. Hockey tape (easy to wrap) makes any metal surfaces much quieter.

I keep the platform section in the hunting position all the time. I never have to mess with that. I then bungy the closed seat section to it with my day bag in between. Very compact! I also put rubber on the platform where the seat touches it. I really have no noise issues, ever.

It isn't a comfortable stand, I'll be the first to admit that. But, as far as all around quality of construction goes, it's top shelf. I've had this particular stand for like 7 years now, and I can finally say something needs to be replaced. I need to get a couple of new bushings for the seat rail.
Attached Thumbnails Lone Wolf Sit and Climb....history.-stand-006-custom-.jpg  
Old 12-08-2009, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

early_in, I tried a configuration similar to what you have there and I just couldn't get to like it. I figured since I was going to leave it all folded out, it might as well be a solid stand anyway.

I liked some things about the LW, just not enough to see the price tag being worth it. The platform size and weight really bugged me too. If that stand was the same size as a summit, it would easily weight 25lbs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.