Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
2009... one for the books (pics) >

2009... one for the books (pics)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2009... one for the books (pics)

Old 12-07-2009, 04:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default 2009... one for the books (pics)

I have been waiting to cross paths within bow range of the buck known as the Jolly Brown Giant. (aka "JBG ) for a couple months. I have seen him on two other occassions. But, both times he got my wind and the deal was blew before it really ever started.
With a forecasted storm coming, I knew I had to be in my stand Saturday Afternoon. I cancelled some plans with the wife (that will cost me) just to spend the afternoon in the stand.

At 345 PM I had the same old "hussy" doe and her fawn. They alway come down the same trail, like clockwork for over a month straight. This doe knows where my tree stand is and makes it a point to look up there as she is walking by. She has busted me more often then not. As I was watching them I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. I could see even at a hundred yards, this buck was a shooter. Just as I turned back around the Ol' Hussy was standing under my tree in the same position she always is. I was saying some words to the lord about "please don't let me bust me NOW". Just as I did, she got nervous. The buck had made his way over to scent check her fawn. He made a quick pass thru my shooting lane but offered no shot. He made the mistake just a few moments later when he turned 180 degrees and walked right back thru it.
I drew my bow and settled the pin. The arrow as it neared him got goofy in the air and stuck farther back then what I would have liked. I watched as he walked out of the area with head held low and walking slowly. I gave it 20 minutes and climbed down to find my arrow. I knew from past experience that I should back out. The arrow was a complete pass thru with blood very near the impact site.

I called a couple buddies to help me track him. With the forecasted storm scheduled to dump 3-5 inches over night. I knew that we should wait as long as we could before we went after him. We arranged to meet at 10 pm and start looking. A full 6 hours after the shot. We were on good blood until we apperently bumped him out of his bed. He tried his best to loose us. At one point ,travelling over 100 yards down the middle of the river. We had lost blood for nearly an hour before COElkFreak hollered "He had blood". We pursued the deer further scensing more urgentcy as snow was starting to fall. At a point in the blood trail, I shined my light infront of us. He was laying about 70 yards away but very awake. We debated about how we should go about getting close to him but it didn't work. He got up from his bed and headed due north. He crossed the county road and continued down river.We had bumped him a total of 3 times all at a distance of roughly 500 yards apart. Now almost 3 AM, we elected to leave him and hopefully we would bed down and expire. I gained permission to go and look for him on the property this morning. We decided to wait until almost noon to give him a full 18 hours before continuing to track him.

We went our 500 yards into the property. When COElkFreak noticed a Magpie fly down into a willow thicket. He went over to investigate and hollered he had found him.
None of my archery hunts seem to go "easy". I watch the hunting shows and they all say how they have their deer dead within 100 yards. I have never for some reason haved that luxury very often. If it wasn't for persistance and good friends willing to be out until all hours of the morning. This buck would have been laying there getting eating by coyotes.
To all those that helped and even those that kept my spirits high via text at 2 am. I cannot Thank you enough!!

Old 12-07-2009, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome buck!
Old 12-07-2009, 05:59 AM
Typical Buck

Awesome job!! Congratulations on a great buck.

Dan
Old 12-07-2009, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

What I would do to own land out there. Wisconsin is good hunting, but I would love to own some land out in Colorado.

Good hunting man!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Way to go! Great buck! Congrats on the recovery!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

CONGRATS thanx for the gret story and pix. very nice deer WTG
Old 12-07-2009, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go...GREAT BUCK to say the least! Congrats!
Old 12-07-2009, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

Great story and great deer! Congrats on recovering the monster, too many guys lose their deer after bumping even once...
Old 12-07-2009, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great buck! Holy smokes.. Big congrats
Old 12-07-2009, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats and way to stick with it. Persistance pays off!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.