Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Need help picking a trail cam >

Need help picking a trail cam

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need help picking a trail cam

Old 12-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need help picking a trail cam

I know this probably don't really belong in this part of the forum, but I figured this would be where I could get more input.

After using a mediocre trail cam for the past 6 years, I am wanting to upgrade and give myself a present for Christmas. If you could post which cam you use, your opinion on which cam is the best for the money and maybe some pictures from your setups so I can see some samples that would be great!

I have a limit of $150-$200 so I don't really know if that helps narrow the field down any. One of the main things I am looking for is BATTERY LIFE. The one I have been using would suck brand new batteries dry in a week.

Thanks!!!
Old 12-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default I have three Moultrees

I bought the infra red one for $179.00 on sale. Takes good pictures and I think the battery life good. My thing was simple to set up and that I got.

Here the link to the one I have

http://www.moultriefeeders.com/produ...id=mfh-dgs-i40

Here a few pictures
Attached Thumbnails Need help picking a trail cam-picture-311.jpg   Need help picking a trail cam-picture-314.jpg   Need help picking a trail cam-wk-1-010.jpg  

Last edited by OklaBowhunter; 12-02-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

I've had 5-6 cuddebacks, a leaf river, and a moultrie in the last few years. I recently bought a stealth cam IR and it is by far and away the best of the bunch. Best of all it was the cheapest. It cost me 150$, came with 2 memory cards, and the batteries are lasting very well. It can take video, which is pretty cool. It is just as fast as the cuddebacks, and i think the picture quality is better. The other day i had it on video mode and it caught a deer on a dead run about 65 yards away!
Old 12-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

moultrie i40 or scoutguard
Old 12-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Home Brews are the way to go!!

Dan
Old 12-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Spike

I have been pretty happy with my Stealth Cam IR's I bought. Only real downfall is the trigger speed is a little slow. If you are going to use it over a food source it would do a great job. On a trail not as good. I paid about $120 each for them. I did have a Moultrie I40 and it turned out to be a lemon. So I have stayed away from them.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

I will say Bushnell or Cuddeback. Bushnell takes video and is better on batteries. Just stay as far away from Moultrie as you can and that's a step in the right direction. They are the biggest waste of money you will ever spend.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Fork Horn

I have been using the Bushnell Trophy Cam since July. Absolutely love it, excellent battery life, great pictures and video, compact, IR, easy to setup and reliable.

I've had it out since July, on video most of the time, and I'm still on its first set of batteries showing full life left (8 Lithium AA's).

Sells for $199 and IMO one of the best for the money.

Last edited by jeremy3303; 12-02-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:11 PM
voz
Fork Horn

Default my opinion

I bought a couple HCO Scoutguard cameras to replace the two Moultrie IR's I had and absolutely love them. The Moultries had awesome battery life and took good picks but in a wooded envirionment took mostly B/W pics. The ScoutGuards are tiny in comparision, take better pics IMO and battery life is about a month for 8 AA's (I've had them last longer but to play it safe I change them every month). There is no trouble switching from day/night and the cam (because of it's size) is easy to hide. The Moulties were big enough that I could carry one at a time in my back pack (w/ security box) but with the ScoutGuards I can fit both and my cordless drill in my back pack. I have metal security boxes for each which I mount to the tree with drywall screws (just to hold the box to the tree). It makes battery/card changes a breeze with no need to resight the cam. I bought my cams at beebusyoutdoors.com and I believe I paid about 200 a piece (not sure what they cost now)...well worth it. Sorry, not sure how to post pics...but you can send me an email [email protected] and I can send you some.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Bartender

Jenna the moultries should suffice.
Also check out the trail cameras forum to see what kind of pics are being posted from
various models.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras-84/

Good Luck,
T

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.