HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Illinois late season hunting. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/311038-illinois-late-season-hunting.html)

Widgeonus 11-28-2009 07:02 PM

Illinois late season hunting.

I made a trip up there (Pike County) during the first two weeks of November and didn't tag out. I was thinking of driving back up there for another week on the 13th (right after muzzleloader season). I've never hunted up there that late in the season. Do yall think I will be waisting my time driving 900 miles one way or is hunting still decent?

Thanks

solocamcan 11-28-2009 07:05 PM

Any time can be good. They may be hitting the corn fields pretty heavy to regain strength and energy lost during the rut.

Gladius87 11-29-2009 08:19 AM

Yes, but up in Pike the hunting pressure may make those deer nocturnal by that time. I have never had any luck after the shotgun seasons, at least down state where I'm from.

Illini_Fan 11-29-2009 08:44 AM

I hunt in the central part of the state, and I have had my best hunts later in the year. The deer really come out and hit the fields later in the season when the weather gets cold. I would definatly hunt if you can.

mission17 11-29-2009 03:00 PM

I hunt pike county myself and you will not have a problem taggin out this late I can almost promise you this. The rut seems to be still ongoing in most areas of pike co and even at the the doe will be moving for sure...

Widgeonus 11-29-2009 03:53 PM

I won't be able to make it out there til after the late muzzleloader season...Probably get there around the 14th of December.

kickin_buck 11-30-2009 05:25 AM

Some of the best hunting of the year in late in the season. Our weather in Illinois is so up and down, but you can normally count on cold, or at least colder weather in Dec. The deer really start hitting the shelled corn fields pretty hard and you can start to pattern some of the bucks again.

IMHO, it is worth the drive if you have the place to hunt and time to do it.

Widgeonus 11-30-2009 09:56 PM

Looks like the wife and I will give it another shot around the 14th of December (her birthday). Hoping for her to get a shot at a doe. She has never gotten a whitetail with her bow. I think she is more excited about going back than I am.

YooperMike 12-01-2009 05:00 AM

I think it is worth the trip too. Gun season really puts the whomp on the deer, but by the 14th, they may be a little bit settled back down. Can be some tough hunting with the weather if it gets real cold, but that's part of the fun of it. Good luck over there!

ahunter55 12-01-2009 06:43 AM

I in N.E. Ia right on the Ill Border of N.W. Ill. my home state. I'll be Bowhunting after gun season too. Anytime can be good, just have to dress for COLD weather 995 of the time....Good Luck.

4 of us family have not drawn our Bow this year. 2 in Ill. & 2 in Ia. so it's been tough.