Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Just a stupid question >

Just a stupid question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Just a stupid question

Old 11-28-2009, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by solocamcan
This sounds more like you are just pissed because this is the only option you have...hunt 13 acres next to a hunt club, and you never see squat. I bet if you had a place to hunt where you seen deer on a regular basis, this thread wouldnt have been written.

if i had a couple thousand acres i would still hunt the way i do....we are already on antler restrictions so lettin em go is no choice!!!!!they will get bigger no doubt....if i wasnt on antler restrictions i'd have a couple more dead ones!!!
Old 11-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt like I want to because I own 3 farms with about 850 acres...We kill 40-50 deer a year and none is wasted...We hunt because we like to eat game, turkeys, squirrels, rabbits, quail, doves, ducks, deer etc...

Because we raise corn, soybeans, wheat and peanuts we basically have huge food plots for the deer...Keeping their population in check protects our crops...Since I own the farms and have hunted them for over 40 years I do what I want to do...

With only 13 acres, you don't have enough property to manage the local population...

Last edited by nchawkeye; 11-28-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Spike

Something just struck me as very funny. It seems that some people forget that deer reproduce every year. They act like there is only a limited supply of bucks and when they are gone, they're gone forever. I say shoot what looks good to you. Deer travel and grow each year. Even if you shoot a sub-par buck, there is a chance you will still see decent bucks on your land.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
i usually find that people that just hunt big bucks dont usually eat all the meat and they gag when they clean their deer..jus my experiance..
So true brother.......so true!
Old 11-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOW just what we need, My opinion is that you should shoot what makes you happy, I personally have decided to this year start holding off on young bucks and hold out for something bigger but I have absolutely no problem with people shooting smaller deer. First deer or not some people may not have the time or resources that you "trophy" hunters have.

Trophy- a memento of success, esp one taken in war or hunting

^^^^
Old 11-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Spike

most people around here only hunt one week during the gun hunt. They aren't going to pass up small bucks very often, or else they'd be eatting tag soup. If I told my dad i passed up a small 6 point buck....he'd boot me square in the balls. We hunt for venison, a large rack is just a bonus, not the main objective. Everyone is turning into trophy hunters, sure thats fine no problem with that....jsut don't bash someone else for taking a young deer.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by NYBowCouple
We have been reading posts on here for almost 2 months and have a stupid question to ask....

1) Why do people shoot spike's, forks and small 6 points???
Aside from it being their first deer...
Because they are more tender!
Old 11-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Todd1700
It's also easy to pass judgement on people when you get to hunt prime places. Killing any deer with a bow on some highly pressured public place can be more of an accomplishment than killing a huge buck on a private, pristine, untainted Iowa or Illinois corn farm. I've hunting Illinois 4 times now and let me tell you, killing a big buck on private land up there is nothing compared to the challenge of killing one back here in Alabama. Those deer get so little hunting pressure that even 3 and 4 year old bucks up there aren't as cautious and woodwise as most of our does.
You make it sound like the is a P&Y behind every tree here in Illinois. And we have lack of hunting pressure? I will go out on a limb and say we have more hunting pressure.

With the exception of So. Illinois, most of the state is small woodlots, fingers of woods that connect other small wood lots. Unlike Alabama which is mostly massive paper mill tree farms.

So you go into a private or public piece that will allow general hunting and there is a tree stand every 40 yards. And I dont see Alabama being flooded with non residents. I dont know where you hunted when here, but the deer I hunt are very wood wise, I've been deer hunting for 20 years and my biggest is 132".So to say that its easy to kill big deer year in and year out even in Illinois is a false statement.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by valor10
Well, first, let me tell you how it went. Nice eight point during bow, nice fawn during bow, nice doe during black powder. I'm still looking for my boy during gun. Everyday!

BGfisher, we've traded comments in the past. The ones in this current thresd just confirm what an arrogant ass you are.
George, or is it Dave,

Sorry to come across as an arrogant ass, as you say. I don't mean to. I've hunted all my life here in Pa. and am just stating what the mentality is of most of the hunters in this state, or t least what it has been for decades.

I'm 62 years old, been bowhunting for 37 years and can say I've enjoyed it immensely. I gave up gun hunting 20 years ago simply because it was hunting anymore. Just competing with 100 hunters on a mountain for the 10 legal deer there.

I've killed my share of deer with a bow. Enough that getting a deer isn't that important anymore. I figure the longer I hold out the more time I get to spend in natures pristine environment and maybe, just maybe I'll get to see that wallhanger I crave.

I have no quarrel with anybody that legally takes whatever deer they please. What I do take issue with is those that kill anything in sight and **** and moan about not seeing any big bucks or kill as many as they can get tags for and complain about less deer from years to year.

I would say this is usually from gun hunters. Bowhunters do seem to be a different breed. Some are more selective and many that I know spend much more time than the average 1 or 2 days of most gun hunters.

The fact that I haven't shot a deer for ten years is one of personal choice--mine alone. I do like deer meat and have never wasted any. But I also know that, being about 15# overweight, I'm not likely to die of starvation if I don't fill my tag. There are other options such as rabbit and squirrel, which are tasty.

I would like to congratulate on your success this year. Your goals are your own and I won't be judgemental. I would ask, though, that unless you hunt in a state with 1,000,000 hunters and share the same woods with many of them that you not judge me on my comments. I'm just stating some facts based on talking, meeting, and hunting with thousands of Pa. hunters over the years.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BGfisher

I have no quarrel with anybody that legally takes whatever deer they please. What I do take issue with is those that kill anything in sight and **** and moan about not seeing any big bucks or kill as many as they can get tags for and complain about less deer from years to year.
EXACTLY, it's the same thing over and over again! We see it here all the time, folks bitchin' about no big bucks where the hunt, while they are standing over their truck bed with a pair of yearling 6 pointers in the back!

It is my strong opinion that most of these hunters are simply LAZY! They are the type that wouldn't dream of going any extra mile or putting any extra effort into their land, their hunting, anything!

You guys can shoot off any excuses you want to make your selves sound better and thump your chest and proclaim that you are real "hunters" all you want.... but the truth and reality of the situation is a little more difficult to hide with that yearling buck in back of your truck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.