Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Deer Stand Safety Harness? >

Deer Stand Safety Harness?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Stand Safety Harness?

Old 11-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

HSS, 3 clicks and your done. I love mine and would pay a whole lot more for it. The smile on my sons face when i come home is priceless
Old 11-28-2009, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

OMG

hunters are dyin wearing these safety harnesses !!!you ABSOLUTELY MUST have a safety harness that will allow you to let yourself down once you fall!!!!!80% of the hunters that died hanging in their safety harness would have lived had they jus hit the ground!!!, and the other 20% were 50/50 weather or not they woulda died. i hope everyone does their own research on this....plz dont believe me look yourself...blood poisoning is the part you are lookin for!!!

good day..stay safe and dont die tryin
Old 11-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

Thats a great point, the new harnesses have a attachment that helps prevent blood pooling in the legs. Quite a few people that do not understand how serious this issue is. It does not take long to pass out from this. I always have my attacment with me, the HSS have pockets to put this into.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:57 AM
Fork Horn

Yes that is a good point, you also want to make sure that you have a knife handy to cut yourself down if needed. (and a cell phone)

The point is, just wearing a safety harness is only half of the equation, you need to have a plan for getting yourself out from hanging there, because you can be dead in only 30 minutes (or passed out even faster) due to the dynamics of hanging like that. It all depends on how you hang! It might be better to cut yourself and fall rather than hang and die. It's probably a really good idea to have a screw in step just in case as well.

I didn't know about this at first either, I thought just wearing the harness had you covered and it isn't... If you have climbing sticks nearby on the tree you probably don't have to worry too much, just think about the setup you are using and how to get yourself out from hanging.

Last edited by c_str; 12-02-2009 at 05:14 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had a belt save my a$$ from a fall years ago. I don't climb without one.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

it doesn't matter how far you are off the ground. always wear one no matter what. they'll save your life