Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Euro Mount on 2009 buck >

Euro Mount on 2009 buck

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Euro Mount on 2009 buck

Old 11-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Euro Mount on 2009 buck

Here he is...

Then heres the euro mount...

We boiled him for about 8-9 hours straight in just water. We used a old turkey pot and boilder that we use to use. Just set it in with the rack outside the water and checked it about every hour and peeled off some of the meat that we could get to. We got pretty much all of it out but there was still a few peices down in the holes so when I got home I got the air hose out and blew down the holes. Im sure I got the rest of it out because I had meet flying all over me... lol. My dad was next to me laughing his @S$ off.

Overall I think it turned out nice for being the first one. We never tried bleeching it or anything. My dads friend's wife is into painting and she painted some deer skulls and she asked if I wanted one done. I thought about it but decided not to. Im not so sure if I would like that or not.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

Nice job. Sal Soda works great for getting meat and tissue off the bone. I believe Borax also works well. If you want to get the skull white, get hydrogen peroxide from walmat, Its cheap. Put the skull in a pan and wrap a towel around the skull to the base of the antlers and pour the hydrogen peroxide over the towel. Let some in the bottom of the pan so it wicks up the peroixde onto the towel. Usually takes a couple of days. Do not use clorox on the skull it eats away the bone.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Typical Buck

when boiling my bear skulls ( ALOT MORE GREASE IN THEM) i use dawn dish soap helps to get oil out of the bone. if it continues to leach out it will have trouble keeping paint on it
NICE DEER CONGRATS
Old 11-18-2009, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

i boiled mine the same way but added dawn dish soap to cut the grease...coated the bottom of the pot to start with...then a good squirt every hour or so when i added a little water...when it was almost completely clean i changed the water and added more soap to try to get the grease out...the grease turns it yellow and makes it spotty..even after whittened...

to whitten mine, i wrapped the antlers in plastic wrap and electrical tape...taped and sealed good around the bases...then i bought a bunch of peroxide from the store...its cheap..like 2$ a big bottle...

i filled a bucket with the peroxide...enough to completely submerge the skull...then let it soak about 2 days...then took it out and rinsed it in clean water and let it sit in the sun for a day...

heres how mine turned out...

stay away from bleach!! it looks good for about a week...then turns chaulky and powdery..then yellows REAL quick...and the bone is soft and fragile and deteriorates by the day....the peroxide i used is holding up great..bone feels hard like it should and color is nice...if its not white enough, leave it in another day or 2...but let it dry an hour or 2 after a day and a half or 2 days...its whiter than it looks after it dries...id definently suggest whitening it somehow...
Old 11-19-2009, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Peroxide is definitely the way to go. You've got a real good start on it already, just do the peroxide soak and you'll have a great looking mount. Certainly some satisfaction in doing it yourself too.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can bleach it a little quicker if you use the powdered peroxide that you can get at a beauty salon supply store. I think taxidermists use 40 volume. They sell it by the gallon. It works great.

Nice buck too, congrats.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

Kiltz spray sealer primer works good to.