Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Will shoulder shot deer head to water? >

Will shoulder shot deer head to water?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Will shoulder shot deer head to water?

Old 11-18-2009, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default Will shoulder shot deer head to water?

Guys, I know these lost deer treads get old, but I am pretty confident I will find this guy. I shot a deer the other night and hit him about 4" in front of where I was aiming. I heard a loud "crack" when it hit him, so I knew it hit the shoulder and he spun and took off. I found decent blood up to the point where the arrow broke off, then the blood trail got really tough to follow. Upon inspecting my arrow, about 10-12" of arrow broke off inside him and there was blood 4" down what was left. I checked the weather that night and it said that it was supposed to rain the next evening, so I thought I had at least a few hours to look(more like 7 or 8 since I planned on getting there at sunup to look). I backed out since we couldn't find much blood and had tracked him about 150 yards. That night I was awaken at 4 am to the sound of pouring rain (I hate weathermen by the way). We went back the next day, still in the pouring rain, and did a grid search since the blood trail was completely gone and turned up nothing. I have full intentions of finding my deer, although I still feel horribel the meat will be gone. I got to thinking that there is a pond about 250 yards from where we last found blood and in the direction he was running. I know gut shot deer will run to water, but will one that may be hit in one lung? I plan on looking there anyway, and walking under the wind on saturday afternoon and trying to smell him. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

I believe most theories to where they run after the shot, (downhill, to water, circle back around) are just that...theories.

You can make a case for all of them (they do all of the above).

Let's face it, they run to where they feel safe.

You are just going to have to continue your grid work and go as far as you can.

Listen for crows and look for circling birds.

You are right, the meat is gone, however you can still do the respectful thing by doing all you can to retrive the carcass.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe the reason a deer or any animal will go to water if it is injured is to try to get relief from fever set on by the risk of infection or the infection itself so I don't think it matters how or where the animal is injured it could still possibly go to water.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Fork Horn

i hit a buck last monday got about 8-10 inches of pentration.. found him 80 yards away.. if you think about it a deers body is maybe 18 inches thick on a good deer.. not to mention that prollyo nly 12 inches of of there chest cavity is holding vitals. if you got that much i have no doubt its a dead deer.. i hit should on my 07 buck and blood was good but stopped.. when i found him i noticed bone chucks had filled the hole
Old 11-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

if the yote got him he'll be spread out over acres...i would take 5 friends and grid it some more...gl
Old 11-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Spike

Any deer that loses a good amount of blood becomes dehydrated...the pond would be a great place to start in my opinion. Good Luck.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too would try the pond.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another problem is getting penetration into the shoulder and not having enough ke to make it thru the ribcage. Learned that one from experience. Losing deer sucks... dont matter if its a fawn or a 200 class.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Doe Dumper
Losing deer sucks... dont matter if its a fawn or a 200 class.

I know that feeling!! It does suck!
Old 11-19-2009, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the tips guys. I am headed out tomorrow to go looking for him again. Havent gotten a chance to look this week since monday, but I still think I will find him. He was a great 10 point, actually the best I have seen in eastern Oklahoma. Probably a 155-165" deer. Long tines and great spread. I'm still pretty sick, but I am done on that ranch for the season even though we have a 2 buck limit. Just does over there during rifle, which starts Saturday. I will keep you guys updated on anything I find.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.