Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 problem i may have.....any suggestions? >

problem i may have.....any suggestions?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

problem i may have.....any suggestions?

Old 05-31-2003, 10:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default problem i may have.....any suggestions?

ok im saving for my bow....i have 220 or so..plus a check in 5 days...so i will be at about 500....ready to go bow shopping soon after that....my mom thinks im nuts spending over 200 on a bow(she dont know jack about bows or hunting period)...i think my dad may fall into that also....what can i say to convince them i need to spend atleast 5-600 for everything? thats what i plan on atleast...so far i got...times changed..bows are alot better then they were when he(dad) bought them and things are better and more expensive and a cheap bow wont shoot good and i wont have that...it will save me money in the future because if i cant buy the bow i want now i will sooner or later....i worked for the money its mine and i should beable to buy whatever i want that will make me happy.....and when its just me and my dad talking i can bring up the fact that he had(not sure what he has now) multiple ar-15s which run about 800 a piece when he built them and he didnt shot them much...they werent for any target competitons or anything and he couldnt hunt with them so they were just for fun....cant bring that up infront of my mom because she thinks they are cheap! lol....i dont think i will bring it up anyway because he might sell all the guns i dont need...like my FAL..and my pistol...and my semi 22....and maybe all the guns he bought me.....how can i convine them? thanx.....i know whats needed.....i did the research and know what i want....but now to buy it........
Old 05-31-2003, 11:28 PM

Default RE: problem i may have.....any suggestions?

What is you want to buy? Maybe look into the local archery shops at some used models like what you want and save some money for arrows and a good target. Last year' s bows can be had for much less than new price.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

" You know, dad. I may be spending a lot of money on this bow, but it' s not the most expensive bow there is. It is a very good quality bow that will last me a long time. After all you are the one who taught me to save my money for things I want. This is one of the things I want. Something that has a good reputation. I have done alot of research on bows in the last few weeks and this bow has great value for the money spent, isn' t that what you' ve always taught me? To make sure I get the most value out of something I buy?

OK now that I finished that...YOUR SPENDING HOW MUCH ON A BOW? If you are mechanically inclined and can setup your own bow, avoid the proshop like it' s the plague! you' ll save a ton of money.
Old 06-01-2003, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

To be honest it' s gonna be hard for a 16 year old (you are 16, right?) to convince their parents of this.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:03 AM

Hmmm, here are two good ones...

" Atleast I am not going and spending money on drugs like alot of kids"

" After I buy this, I am gonna start saving for my truck, and after that, I am just going to try and save up as much money as possible"

Old 06-01-2003, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

As you know it is only natural that good parents show concern when it comes time for their children to spend money, especially when they have watched you work hard for it and it isn' t any small amount. It would be sad if they didn' t show this concern so although it might seem like a problem it is really a positive thing.

We can' t expect " Mom" to understand why we want a bow that costs so much anymore than we can understand why she buys another pair of shoes when she has two dozen in her closet already. Although there is a " gender gap" I suspect Mom' s experience with your Father has " enlightened" her in what to expect from her son. Always remember, the acorn never falls to far from the tree.

In this case " Dad" should be your closest ally. Although he may not know a lot about bows he does know the " principle" involved in owning and playing with toys. I would remind Dad that an important lesson you learned from his infinite wisdom was not to purchase poor equipment and quality equipment isn' t cheap. " Sticker shock" is always an eye opener so it would be a great advantage if Dad could go shopping with you to see what a new top of the line " bare" bow cost. Then when you spend $500.00 for a bow, a sight, a release, a rest, a stabilizer, a peep, string silencers, a quiver, and some arrows it won' t seem so unreasonable. Though it might not raise you to " genius status" they may be impressed by your thorough research.

When you bring home your first bow killed deer all of these issues will be long forgotten by you. Then it will be Dad who will be going through it.

Old 06-01-2003, 09:07 AM

Mauser06:

While some may mistakenly lead you away from a GOOD Pro Shop, finding a GOOD Pro Shop can be the best effort you can make. Admittedly, they are few and far between; but, the fit, form, and comfort of the bow can' t easily be bought by alternative methods.

There are new ' package' bows that meet your budget. We sell a lot of them. There are also some very good trade-ins that you can get. We just got a very nice one in just yesterday. The customer just wants a new higher-end bow and is willing to let his old one go for a very reasonable price. It is in great condition because we personally sold and serviced the bow.

Good luck in your search and keep all your options open.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

yes im 16....i will have worked well over 100hours to pay for this bow....i want to be happy with working not feed up because its not getting me anything nice....my dad has lost a deer because back in the day bows werent as good as they are now....he practiced his heart out....i was with him alot of the time watching and shooting a wanna be compound...he knows how fun archery hunting is....he knows how if you want a big buck in PA thats the best way next to poaching to get one...and he knows me....if i dont get my way now i will hold it against them and just wait until i can buy it.....like the day i get my liscense and my truck i will have 1000 hide away for my bow....forget trying to save..ill go all out if i cant have it now......then just drive myself to the proshop! lol.....i think i can convince them now that i thought about it.....we will see soon.....if i cant get one now you can be im buying one the day i get my liscense.....if only they knew how much money was sitting in my tackle box!!! lol thanx alot guys....ill let ya know how it goes
Old 06-01-2003, 10:34 AM

Len in md is right, scope out the pro shops first. Man they got some great deals this time of year. Just don' t wait until hunting season when everybody else is wanting the same as you.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:28 AM

Show Mom and Dad the bows in Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops. There are only a couple less than two hundred dollars and most average around or over $300.
Five or six hundred is a normal price range for bow and accessories.
Make a list of what is absolutely essential for accessories:Arrow rest, quiver, arrows, broadheads, etc. and show your parents. Include the prices of each.
Now from a parents point of view. I have a 17 and 15 year old. Young men your age more often look at things in life as right now and dont always look at the big picture. My 17 year old spent $350 on his first treestand and when the power steering pump went out on his truck he didnt have the $75 to fix it. I tried to convince him that there were just as good less expensive models and that he needed to keep a little cushion incase something unexpected came up but he refused to listen.
I guess the situation depends on what responsabilites have been set for you financially. Its very admirable that you worked hard and saved your money for a
good bow. But listen to your parents concerns and think hard about your wants vs your needs. Good luck and tell your parents if you were MY son I would let you
spend your hard earned money. Just dont ask me for gas money[>:]

Quick Reply: problem i may have.....any suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.