Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
House magically appears >

House magically appears

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

House magically appears

Old 11-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

I know that eventually it will be ok, but it's just the shock of it all. I didn't expect to be looking at a boone and crockett house at first light. Did I forget to mention the Ford f-150 and Chevy Cavolier there too???

Evidently a group of Amish folks got permission to use the land for advertising. Plan on putting sheds along the freeway (which borders that property). As a thank you to the owner they gave him the house/cabin. I don't know what the land owner plans on doing with the house, but I hope he doesn't use it as a hunting camp. Last thing I need is for guys to be leaving at first light while I'm sittin in the stand.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MISwampDog
I know that eventually it will be ok, but it's just the shock of it all. I didn't expect to be looking at a boone and crockett house at first light. Did I forget to mention the Ford f-150 and Chevy Cavolier there too???

Evidently a group of Amish folks got permission to use the land for advertising. Plan on putting sheds along the freeway (which borders that property). As a thank you to the owner they gave him the house/cabin. I don't know what the land owner plans on doing with the house, but I hope he doesn't use it as a hunting camp. Last thing I need is for guys to be leaving at first light while I'm sittin in the stand.

Even if that happens you'll be good. The deer will adjust and you need to figure out how they do so and hunt them accordingly. We built our house on our hunting property 6 years ago and then three more houses have been built in the past three years on the properties to the west. We all have long, narrow lots with woods and sloughs (the hunting grounds) to the south and a lake to the north. What I've found is that the deer still use primary trails within 150-200 yards of the houses but that the uptick in human activity has caused them to be most active in the hour and a half after sunrise and the same amount of time before sunset. It actually makes you a more efficient hunter in term of knowing when your chances are best. It seems to follow this pattern, even during the rut. Rarely have I gotten trail cam pics during the middle of the day.

It takes a lot to drive a deer, even an old buck from their primary range if they have food, water and cover. They may move their bedding area a couple of hundered yards or so as necessary, but they'll still be there in most cases.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

in ny you cannot fire a bow or gun within 500 ft(about 170yds) of a house.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe, its just a really, really nice box blind! lol On a serious note, that kind of stinks. Sorry bud

Shane
Old 11-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

wow what a shocker

did it look like this one???

some how i think it could take more than 3 days to move this one
at least 2 axles came off
Old 11-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
in ny you cannot fire a bow or gun within 500 ft(about 170yds) of a house.
That stinks. That eliminates a lot of prime bowhunting. The law in Minnesota is 500 feet from houses with a gun (bows not included) unless you're on your own land. Or if its not your own land, you can if you have permission. So you could be firing you rifle 10 feet from your neighbors' bedroom window and you're good if you are on your own property or have their permission to do so.