Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Lone Wolf Guys...ever have this happen? >

Lone Wolf Guys...ever have this happen?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lone Wolf Guys...ever have this happen?

Old 11-17-2009, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lone Wolf Guys...ever have this happen?

I started using a Sit and Climb this season and for the most part, I like the stand.

This past week, I had a scare in this thing that was really unexpected. The platform shifted on me when I put most of the weight on one side of the stand as I was standing up. I put my back against the tree and put each foot on each side of the stand and you could rock the platform back and forth! I have never had this happen with my Summit on this tree.

It appears to me that the teeth section on that platform is pretty narrow and it only allows the tips to actually contact the tree. I tighten down that stab straps as tight as i can get them, but it made no difference.

The tree I climb isn't overly large, maybe 16-17". It just really spooks me know.

Anyone else have this happen?
Old 11-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

On small tree's, it will happen everytime. Freaks me out as well
Old 11-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

fastbucknut, thats the thing, the tree i'm climbing isn't small. Its a decent sized tree by any standards. The traction belts are out almost the whole way on each side. The tree leans back a little, which I like because it gives me more platform space.

If this is as stable as this thing is going to be, I believe I will be sending it packing and go back to my Summit. That Summit stand has never, ever made me feel insecure like this stand does.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got an old black stand my brother got and I use it when i want to go in and out real quick. The thing only weighs probably 10-15 pounds.. the lightest I have ever felt. But MANNNN its a bit scary. I wear the harness in that thing and make sure I'm very careful. Almost on adaily basis, that thing rocks side to side while I stand or shift my weight in it. I have come to get used to it. Like you said, on mine its the teeth as well. But its spooky sometimes. I have another that I use primarily, but its too heavy to lug in and out on a daily basis.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:12 AM
Typical Buck

It happened to me once my first time using it. I just make sure that before I sit down, I make sure its level, i have a slight downward angle, make sure the belt isn't buckled, and bounce slightly with my legs.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Muzzyman - I've never had this happen to me and I've been using a LW for 2 years now. The only thing I could think is that your traction belt caught on something and didnt grab the tree at the proper angle. Sometimes the belt catches on bark for me and holds on the tree lower than it's supposed to (therfore the belt is bent down), and the stand isnt as stable. I just re-adjust the bottom until the belt is at the proper angle. I went from a summit to the LW and I feel much more secure in the LW, it grabs the tree much better IMO...
Old 11-18-2009, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

HuntingEd, I'll try that out. That makes sense. But in reality, if I have to mess with it every time I climb, I think my Summit is coming out of retirement.

I like the qualities of the LW, but honestly, I believe I can climb just as quietly in my Summit. The comfort of the LW is ridiculously bad and the stand, overall, is much smaller. All of that for a 200 dollar increase compared to my Summit.

I'm trying really hard to like the Wolf. If I decide to live with it, the first thing I'm doing this winter is ordering the wide top section. For me, I feel so confined in the original.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it could be a combination of things, you have a fairly larger tree - 16" compared to the width of the LW "jaws" so you may only have 1 or 2 teeth grabing per side. I think the tree leaning back could be another big player, if you think about it the tree leaning back means that more of your weight is held at the teeth vs putting the strap in tension, so it would take less of a weight shift to wobble... Or course I'm assuming your stand is leaning back w/ the tree, if you have the stand level relative to ground my theory is moot...
Old 11-18-2009, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Muzzyman, I switched to an Ol Man Mesh seat and I got the SCC Wide Model top. It's bigger, more comfortable and easier to climb with. With any climbing stand or even lockons I try to keep my weight centered as much as possible. If a stand is gonna slip it will happen when your weight is all to one side. Make sure the arrows on the traction belts are not showing, if they are the tree is too big. Good Luck be Safe
Old 11-18-2009, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

LNKChoppers, I have a question about the wide top section. By the looks of the pics of it, is it also longer? Meaning does it extend out from the tree further than the standard?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.