HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   More Illinois Success (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/309981-more-illinois-success.html)

jtl60047 11-16-2009 08:26 PM

More Illinois Success

1 Attachment(s)
Hey all -

Last two years in Illinois and zip/zilch/nada/0 in the freezer.

Well this year is the spell is broken!

Took a great and VERY TASTY doe on the 7th of October (best eating venison I've ever had) - and today, after a ground stalk and sit of 45 minutes got a very nice buck.

I hunt a bow only area in N. Illinois - it's a suburban/rural area. Sometimes can hear the kids laughing and yelling at the bus stop in the am - frequently I can hear the landscapers mowers in the distance...

Took this guy today on my lunch break (hunting grounds are 1.5 mi. from work). Did not end up back at work 'till tonight. He was a bear to field dress and haul out.

Did a crouched over knee walk directly at him -straight on. I was dead down wind. Every time I'd let an arm or hand show (that darn balance thing) he'd get edgy and look like he was going to bolt. Made myself as small as possible - I'm 6'3" and 230 - not an easy task.

Got to within 20 yards - I had a windbreak/sparse saplings and large oaks between me and my shot. Lined up, found a shooting lane - release and zip - the arrow does a sharp right mid flight. I clipped a sapling. He bolts 10 yards.

Spend the next 25 minutes with more knee/duck walking - never letting myself be larger than 2' or so from the ground.

Find an open slot between 2 large oaks for a clean - brush/sapling free shooting lane. I need him to come 5 steps to me. I do my best doe bleat. 10 yards beyond the buck, another buck (smaller) and a doe jump up - wow.

He looks back at the other 2 deer, and takes 3 steps... 1 step more and waits. He is now looking around an oak at me, then back at the other 2. I give one more very soft bleat (I'm sure the thoughts of all 3 deer were along the lines of "What the heck is that awful sounding animal!" . He takes that 1 extra step - zip and twack!

He bolts - stops after 15 yards - walks another 10 and lays down. One serious effort to get back up and then it's over. I'm always a little sad at this moment - and glad that I made a proper shot and he went down quickly.

Very happy with this hunt. Hope he had the chance to "knock-up" the doe. Like to see his kids in the future.

Weighed in at just over 200lbs at the butcher. Was too long/big for him to hang in the freezer - processor said it would mess up the mount with his head and neck bent over for a day or so in the freezer. We are 1/2 way through the doe from October - wife and kids love the vension steaks/chops/and burger. I'm a lucky man! This should fill the freezer and then some - plan on giving a bunch to the church for their weekly "Open Pantry" evening.

JTL

907Alaska 11-16-2009 09:18 PM

Congrats...

Well done!

dyb3and88 11-17-2009 12:28 AM

Thats a pretty nice buck...WTG!!! congrats on getting the monkey off your back...

ManofTheFall 11-17-2009 05:06 AM

Great buck!!!!! Good job!!!!!

solocamcan 11-17-2009 08:04 AM

This is proof that it is better to be lucky than good and that the rut makes these mature bucks complete idiots.

Hunt4Life23 11-17-2009 08:07 AM

Great buck! sounds like a fun encounter. congrats

jtl60047 11-17-2009 08:12 AM

Hey solo - know what you were trying to say or meant, but I've spent enough time on the ground and in the trees for this to be beyond just blind luck.

It is amazing that "Luck" comes to those that have put the effort in, and are prepared to take advantage of the "luck" or "opportunity".

solocamcan 11-17-2009 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by jtl60047 (Post 3505173)
Hey solo - know what you were trying to say or meant, but I've spent enough time on the ground and in the trees for this to be beyond just blind luck.

It is amazing that "Luck" comes to those that have put the effort in, and are prepared to take advantage of the "luck" or "opportunity".

No, No...I didnt mean you are just some lucky hunter....it was luck that that deer stuck around after a miss thats all I was saying. you created your luck with sticking on him, I agree. I think you read my post in the wrong tone. I got "lucky" tonight on my buck I shot...I will admitt that:s2:

IL-Cornfed 11-17-2009 07:42 PM

CONGRATS on your buck! I love the character of that rack! Thanks for sharing an excellent trophy pic as well!

jtl60047 11-17-2009 07:49 PM

Solo - yep, got cha.

Sorry for missing the point on your reply. Was reading fast and typing faster!

So you did get your buck tonight?

Pretty happy with him - he's a suburban deer, I think that he bulked up pretty well on what he could scrounge. Would have loved to have seen what the rack could have looked like with some good farm food and minerals!

Have to get this weather system past us up here in Chicagoland - get out and get some Doe Steaks!

Hunt well.

JTL