Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
More Illinois Success >

More Illinois Success

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

More Illinois Success

Old 11-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by solocamcan
and that the rut makes these mature bucks complete idiots.
I agree 100%, especially when they have a hot doe with them.

To the original poster.... awesome deer! That thing is a hoss. The neck on him is unreal.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:34 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

Congrats on a nice Buck! Taking them on the ground on their own terms makes it that much sweeter. Much is made about only taking "trophy Bucks" for the challenge, but hunting on the ground turns them all into trophies!
Old 11-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Great Buck.

Any job openings by you?
Old 11-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Spike

Hey Orion -

I'm still payin for missing the afternoon - just now leaving work.

I wouldn't wish my job on my brother-in-laws ( well maybe one of them anyway).

Very happy to have gotten one early this week - as you are well aware, the hills are alive with the sound of shotguns this weekend in Illinois and the processors will be buried.

Yes - for the purist out there I really should be butchering my own - and I agree. But for now, the guy I use I trust, and between the cash to get properly set up and the time, it's not going to happen for a few years.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats. That sounds like a great hunt. That must be exciting stalking up on one like that. I've never been able to do that successfully. Good job.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

nice buk...ya get a score yet?
Old 11-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Spike

Congrats!!
Old 11-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
nice buk...ya get a score yet?

Half - not yet. Think that I'll do a shoulder mount on him - the taxidermist should be able to score it for me. I'll be happy if he goes over 120.

With the width and height he's got - his rack would have been phenomenal given better 'vittles and minerals. Have thought about putting out supplements on the acreage that I hunt (pretty much the only one who has access to 2 properties that total nearly 120 acres in a gun only county). There is another 120 acre parcel next to me that has been fallow for 20 years and has not been hunted for over 3. Very much the bedding area. The entirety of 240 acres is surrounded by residential (very large lots). Have to be careful on the shot - do not want injured bambi to stumble over to the kiddies at the bus stop!

I have a stand just on the edge of the bedding area - really wanted to hunt it this week but I will not hunt it if the wind is wrong. Last thing that I want is for my scent to wash over the whole bedding area.