Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Been takin care of >

Been takin care of

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Been takin care of

Old 11-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is something that truely saddens me!! I wrote the guy a message on his page, and would like to share with you!!

You are an as***** my friend!! Why would you do nothing, and then tell everyone about it? You are more of a problem, and an embarressment to the sport until you do something about it. I understand the rock and hard place, but do what is right, and stop coming on and starting posts like this that you know will anger me and my fellow friends. Grow a pair and respond to the comments you recieved in this post as well!!

Don't know if I was wrong in doing this, but I get angry about this kind of foolishness!!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Typical Buck

This post has a lot of replies,I didn't get on the internet much last year during the hunting season it wasn't a post and run deal,there is several reasons I did not turn the person in,the number one reason being that his kids live mostly off of deer meat,number 2 I did not want to put my own safety at risk,I did have strong evidence because it was a wide 9 point with a broken brow tine,me and my brother had just seen the buck alive 20 minutes before that rubbing a telephone pole next to a cattle feeder,we was actually gutting a deer that my brother had just shot that evening when the poacher had stopped by to ask what he killed,sure enough 10 minutes after the guy leaves we hear a single shot fired from a 22 caliber or a 22 Hornet rifle,later that night I get emails of the buck,my brother had talked to the farmer about it already and the farmer said to call him when he thinks something like this is going on and he will handle it,I myself couldn't turn someone in because as stated earlier his kids would most likely go hungry, I am lucky enough to have private land to hunt but not everyone has the opportunity and are forced to hunt public ground which is usually over hunted and can be days or weeks before you are able to put meat in your freezer and in todays world with the prices at the grocery store and lots of people being cut from there jobs you have to look at the big picture,like is he doing it to take care of his family or is he doing it for the antlers on the deers head,I am not someone who would put someone in a bad situation into a worse situation.I understand the importance of conservation and don't have to poach but if you are hungry and you need the meat I feel like you have that right to do what you have to do,unfortunately it is not always those that are hungry that are doing this, it is also people that only care about the antlers on the deers head which is wrong I agree and in this situation I would turn a person in.I don't know if anything i just typed makes a bit of since but its the way I feel about it.

Last edited by blackhawk_archery; 09-16-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by deer toe
how the hell can u know It was a ******* 22 caliber round man matter afact how can a 22 even kill a deer u have youre 22,22short,22mag and the list goes on and on and none of those 3 could kill a deer so I also say he is a liar
I know the sound of a 22 rifle and yes a 22 has enough power to kill a deer,a 22 bullet can travel over 1 mile,loaded with a hollow point can do serious damage to any animal.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:42 AM
Spike

It is sad to let a poacher pass with no kind of warning or getting the authorities involved . I have private land to hunt in the country it is a total of about 8ooo acres of farm land swamps and hardwoods . We have this problem with poachers and we are trying to get this fixed with the help of game wardens . If he is givein you this sob story about needing meat wouldnt you offer to shoot a doe for him ???? And its ok for him to take out your best bucks ????? Does he help working your private land to get ready for deer season or put out the money ?????? Is his bullets to good for a doe , not that its right to poach a doe ????? I for one will not stand by and let someone do this , and this topic should be shut down because it is making people mad and to much name calling . Good luck this season everyone
Old 09-17-2010, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

If they are that bad off, hook them up with a food pantry in the area. What if a hunter was coming out of the woods and they missed? That .22 round is going somewhere for quite a ways.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

turn them in
Old 09-17-2010, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Although this thread is old, a couple points that a few in here disregard or are possibly ignorant about.

.22 is generally the weapon of choice for many poachers

you do not have to have PROOF in order to call the law. you can have suspicion. It's the cops' jobs to gather proof in order to obtain a conviction (D'uh bc).

this guy (the poacher) is an a-hole and not your friend. If he's starvin' let him shoot a doe. either way (doe or wallhanger) it's wrong, but at least if he was a "friend" he'd hesitate on shooting the buck knowing that you and others like to hunt. A starving poacher would have the most humble and ashamed behavior...not email pics,etc

If his kids are starvin then let him pick up cans along the road instead of spending time poaching...I believe he has ulterior motives. He should have been reported
Old 09-17-2010, 06:16 AM
Typical Buck

Being a lawful hunter/person I am glad that my state (New York) participates in the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact (google it!) heres a map of states that participate. To back up my fellow hunters here on the NET it sounds to me that this guy poaches all year to feed his family(REMEMBER!THE WHOLE COUNTRY FELT THE RECESSION!)It takes gas to ride around poaching deer that's $$$ they could be using to feed their family.SOUNDS LIKE CHILD PROTECTION OR SOCIAL SERVICES SHOULD BE THE FIRST ONES NOTIFIED.Don't get me wrong,I understand and agree with your concerns for the children,but I just paid $98 just for my 2010/11 hunting permits(in my resident state!!!) to hunt(not necessarily even kill) an animal.This is a very touchy subject for all hunters(as you can see).I hope you have a good season.Good luck!!!! http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources...ct/WCV_map.pdf
Old 09-17-2010, 06:27 AM
Typical Buck

It wont happen again on this property.Thanks good luck guys
Old 09-17-2010, 08:51 AM
Spike

I know guys that are like that but they always shoot slick heads (mostly young deer) and it's on there own ground. Honestly, I don't see why the guy just didn't ask you to shoot him a deer or something. I kill more deer than I can personally eat every year, but there's a bunch of people who want the meat and I usually end up giving too much away. I'm griping I don't have any deer meat by summertime lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.