Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Couldn't find my deer today... >

Couldn't find my deer today...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Couldn't find my deer today...

Old 11-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

if you dont go back sell the bow until you are finished with school,the buck probly didnt make it far.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know how it feels to lose deer...it sucks! But as stated before just head back out tomorrow and get someone to go with ya, 2 sets of eyes are better than 1!
Old 11-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

Congrads and hope you are able to find
Old 11-11-2009, 05:15 AM
Fork Horn

How did the deer act after he was shot? Was his tail up, down, did he hunch over, etc. Did he run, walk, etc.

What color was the blood? Was the arrow completely covered, what color hair at the spot of shot and on the arrow, etc.

More details please,

Take a gps with you to mark your tracks when you search. That deer if mortally wounded may head toward running water.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by blackhawk_archery
if it comes down to missing class to find the buck then thats what needs to be done.
It's not always that easy you know. Depends on the program, what the schedule is etc. Some of those professors are in the university because they are completely wacko compared to us normal people here in the real world :-)
Old 11-11-2009, 05:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GR8atta2d
In his defense...

He said 30 minutes and thats more than enough time for a liver shot.
No, it's NOT long enough! And a word of advice, bring some hand snips with you when you go into that thick stuff. It will help keep you from being cut/sliced/scratched beyond recognition.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:43 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Hunt4Life23
Should of waited longer than 30 minutes to look for him but hopefully you can still find him in the morning. With a questionable shot you should of waited till the morning to look. Just make sure you look as much as you can and do a grid search over the whole area. good luck
I don't agree, it sounds like he was fairly certain he hit the liver. You can't just automatically wait until morning - coyotes #1, and what the weather forecast is plays a big part as well. 30 minutes or an hour - either is too short in this case I agree.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

30 mins after a liver shot! absolutely not enough time! WHEN IN DOUBT BACK OUT! i would let sit for 12-24 hours
Old 11-11-2009, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

any luck finding him?
Old 11-11-2009, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know if this will help, but the buck I shot last year was a liver hit, barely clipped the opposite lung. Found him a quarter mile away. He went down hill pretty much the whole way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.