Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How do I keep from cracking under pressure? >

How do I keep from cracking under pressure?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do I keep from cracking under pressure?

Old 11-11-2009, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

well you said you are hittin leaves with a field tip from your stand...which makes me think your sighted in fer field tips?
Old 11-11-2009, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
well you said you are hittin leaves with a field tip from your stand...which makes me think your sighted in fer field tips?
Yes, but my broadheads are spot on with my field tips I just don't want to dull a broadhead by shooting it into the dirt
Old 11-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

forgot...shoot for where you want the arrow to come out the other side..that has also always helped me out
Old 11-12-2009, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

i just make sure i am sighted in with a broadhead that i am gonna be usin to hunt with, yes it will ruin it, but use it jus fer target practice....i never had a field tip do what my broadheads do exactly.jus my experience
Old 11-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you all for the advice! I think another big step is shooting a small deer first! Tonight a little doe came in and I passed her because it was so small...she bedded down right by my stand...she got up before dark and walked and stood 20 yards broadside...I decided this was my chance to earn my buck so I drew on her, took my time...and put it straight through both lungs! She went 15 yards and piled up! It's my first deer ever so even though it's small I'm still really excited and it will help me build confidence when bigger ones come in.

halfbaked...I shoot rages and they really do exactly like my field tips...I shoot over 40KE but I bought the 40KE ones anyhow to help with penetration...anyways...they did their job perfectly! Thank you all again!
Old 11-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Spike

Saturday morning I had a doe pop-out at 50 yards. I tried to get her in closer with my "grunt" call and then with my "can" call. It didn't bring her in but it did bring a nice 9 point in from behind me. When I first saw him my heart and breath rate went crazy. I started shaking real bad. Note: I've been bow hunting now for over 22 years. I knew instintly that "I HAD TO" control my breathing. My method is: (I close my eyes and get my breathing under control. Do that and your heart rate go's back down and the shaking stops. Some guys have to sit to shoot because no matter what they do. There knee's and legs shake too bad even after controlling the breathing. Okay, If the deer is still there when you re-open your eyes, good! Now take careful aim and shoot your buck. If not, you wouldn't want to shoot at the deer shaking or not under control anyway.)
On this buck I did close my eyes and when I re-opened them. He was still standing at 18 yards. I waited for him to turn and which he did. So I cranked back smoothly and made the shot. I was really calm and under control now. I made a perfect heart shot and he only ran 35 yards before tipping over on the edge of the field. *Practice this method on some doe's first. The more I used this method, the quicker I learned to control myself. It does take practice like everything else. I hope this helps and GOOD LUCK HUNTING.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Spike

Nice job!!! Sounds like your on your way. Good Luck Hunting!
Old 11-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice job dude...doe? buck?..all the same...practice makes perfect...i think the hardest part is tryin to hit that lil spot i am aimin at on the deer..especially with the shakin'! especially if they are campn out under you, you have plenty of time to relax, but that big boy walkin by is another story...

definitely do the "control method" as stated b4 me...i also take off runnin when i target shoot...aint very far as i am a smoker, but bein outta breath is all the same..so take a high pace run and come back and shoot your bow..this has helped me alot with my shootin.. nice job and good luck