HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   My 2009 Archery buck (story & pics) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/309500-my-2009-archery-buck-story-pics.html)

SDarcher 11-09-2009 01:00 PM

My 2009 Archery buck (story & pics)

3 Attachment(s)
Shot Oct 28th, Have been busy and didn't get around to posting to the main forum till now.

My buddy and I went out right after work, got in the stand about 4:30. around 5:15 I saw some deer moving in a patch of cedars that were 175 yards away. I did some gruntin and rattlin, but nothing would come out of there. The rain started fallin around 5:30 or so. I waited a while and tried again about 6:15. this time i used the snort wheeze with the grunts and rattlin. didn't notice anything right away, but about 5 minutes later 3 deer appeared at the edge of the cedars. It was 3 bucks, a nice 4x4, a smaller buck, and this guy. They were headed my way. They circled around south of me and came right up the treeline i was sitting in. Walked right under the stand. This buck thought he needed to stop direclty under me and nibble on some grass for a minute. My heart was pounding as soon as i saw him, but when he was right below my feet just standing there that really got the nerves goin! Then he started on down the trail again, and when he got to my opening, I stuck an arrow in him.

He made it back to the cedars, and after an hour we went out to look for him. My arrow didn't pass through because it his leg on the opposite side. So we didn't have a blood trail to follow, and if there was any blood the rain washed most of it away. We couldn't find him, and decided to back out and come back in the morning and find him. After about an hour the next morning we found him just 50 yards north of where we had been the night before!

It's been almost 2 weeks, but I'm still as pumped as the day we found him. I'll be wearin a permanent smile the rest of this season!

Hunt4Life23 11-09-2009 01:17 PM

thats an awesome buck. congrats

early in 11-09-2009 01:28 PM

That's a friggen horse! Nice wide rack on him too. Congrats.

Oh, I almost forgot, how did that shot hit his leg? It almost looks like a spine shot?

reds10ss 11-09-2009 01:29 PM

thats a great buck man!!

Western MA Hunter 11-09-2009 01:32 PM

awesome buck and great story... congrats.

wis_rifle_hunter 11-09-2009 01:38 PM

great buck. congrats and nice job

dyb3and88 11-09-2009 04:35 PM

Thats a hoss of a buck, wtg!!!

Ava 11-09-2009 04:41 PM

WoW! Nice Buck!

Congratulations!

SDarcher 11-10-2009 05:38 AM

Thanks guys! the way he's laying in the picture does look more like a spine shot, but it hit behind the shoulder and he was quartering away. Thats what it looked like when we cleaned him anyway, that the arrow hit that leg.

The Deer Destroyer 11-10-2009 07:29 AM

Congrats on a great buck!