Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Define "shooter" >

Define "shooter"

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Define "shooter"

Old 11-08-2009, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Define "shooter"

Everyone says it but to you what exactly is a shooter buck? Pics welcome but define what a shooter buck is to you.

Ryan.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where I hunt this is a "shooter".
Attached Thumbnails Define "shooter"-2009-rut-buck-001.jpg  
Old 11-08-2009, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lol how many inches is he early?

Ryan.

P.s. Nice buck buddy.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

He shot off the scales at 108" 6/8!
Old 11-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

A shooter buck is in the eyes of the bow holder..
Depends on what your looking for, meat or trophy? I've let deer walk some would shoot, then I'm sure I've shot bucks that others would let go.

It's up to you to determine what YOU want to shoot, and frankly I don't really care what other hunters think of what I shoot. I'm not trying to impress men.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

A shooter for me changes depending on what I have for meat in the freezer.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Taken in Fife, Scotland.

I have to say most of our red stag are shooters, you get the odd cull stags but with game keeping its rare.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with The Rev. I shooter is what will make the hunter happy and something he will be proud of harvesting . A "shooter" will also change from state to state, even one part of the state to another part of the same state if size is of concern to a particular hunter, some care, some do not. Neither way is wrong unless there is a management program in effect. In the end shoot what makes ya happy.

Shane
Old 11-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with SR, the term "shooter" not only changes from state to state, but I would say from timber to timber.

Our "honey hole" spot for instance; a shooter is considered 130"+
, even there it is hard to shoot a 130" because of the potential of even bigger deer (as is the case with "McNasticus" and others who consistently push upper 150's-lower 170's)

Another property we have a 130" is a huge deer and consistent 100-120's are taken (it is fairly new to the management process, hopefully it gets better! ;-) ).

For the most part I just try to make sure they are more than 2 years old and have bone wider and taller than their ears; that to me is a shooter.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

a shooter for me is something i can be proud of.. although the buck i posted a picture of on here that i killed in early october was only a two year old, my goal is always to harvest a mature buck, or doe for that matter. The buck i shot this fall was by far my biggest and i had never taken a buck with a bow, so i couldnt pass him up.. and im very proud of that buck. taking that buck helped me get closer to my goal now because i will be able to pass on the young bucks in the future because i have already taken a nice two yr old buck.. so im shooting for a mature buck, hopefully 130 or bigger. but in the end its whatever gives you the feeling tht your heart is racing and makes your hand shake, cause thats what hunting is about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.