Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Do you Ever just Stop, Look and Listen? >

Do you Ever just Stop, Look and Listen?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you Ever just Stop, Look and Listen?

Old 11-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Do you Ever just Stop, Look and Listen?

I know in our quest to take Mr Booner with our bows we sometimes forget to stop, look and listen. As I was sitting in my treestand tonight and not seeing a darned thing I happen to look where the sun went down and saw the beauty in the iridescent red, yellow and blue sky.

I took a pic with my cell phone and sent it to several in my contact list. The responses I got were wonderful as well. As the texts were coming in the geese were over head singing their music. Again, I smiled.

There are times we forget to soak it all in.

Take this morning before I got down. I heard the crunch, crunch of leaves knowing it wasn't a squirrel. As it neared I saw a grey/tigered house cat. As it stalked under my stand I ppssst at it and it looked up. I whispered BOO and it turned inside out to leave the area. I just sat there giggling to myself.

I've got to see my 3 legged bear numerous times. The cubs and their antics have made me smile more than once.

I've successfully filled doe tags and one 3 legged doe that will forever be a part of my memories. I've hunted with good friends and shared the woods along with smiles. I am blessed.

I know Germ get's it with his humorous post about seeing sex, cats, atv's, kayakers, hell what doesn't happen to Germ?

bloodcrik gets it, he texted me tonight asking me to call him crazy because he was in a tree with bow in hand coyote hunting. I said, " Not crazy, awesome. ".

I'm weary, I'm tired and yes a little frustrated. I've taken deer this last week before and I may again but I'm not going to lose track of what it's really about and I've had a very fulfilling season.

Good luck to those still hard at it but don't forget to stop and look around.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was sitting in the stand this afternoon. Nothing was moving and I had a headache . All I really wanted was a couple aspirn and my couch. I sat it out without seeing any thing and was pretty frustrated when about sundown a flock of geese came off the lake and flew over. About then I felt the same way you did Rob
Old 11-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

I always soak it all in I love it.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got to do that a lot the last couple days. Deer sightings have been slow.
Unusual and cool things so far:
Buck trailing doe at 1:30 PM. Flock of geese right over me as they lifted off a pond. Hawk nailing a squirrel 5 yds away and the squirrel getting away! I also snort wheezed a nice 9 point to within 20 yds. was at full draw and let him walk, Probably a 3.5 yr old but I was looking for something a little bigger.(my choice if I go home with a tag) Also had a real nice 7 pt. lay down 20 yds from me for more than 2 hours. He was also trailing a doe. Got some real nice still photos of him also. Had full draw on him too. Saw a racoon climb into a tree 15 yds away.
All in all it has been one of my better seasons, buck wise and just plain good sits in the woods. We are certainly blessed to have such a sport that can put you in touch with reality and nature.
6 days left to enjoy archery season here in PA.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya know this is wierd.

Today I had decided to do my first all day hunt, from the same stand. After and entire day of seeing nothing I was frustrated, tired, had a headache and was just in a overall bad mood. As I was about to get down and leave in my frustration, but then something clicked and I just looked out on the horizon and watched that beautiful sunset. I felt the same way you did.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1shotkill1993
Ya know this is wierd.

Today I had decided to do my first all day hunt, from the same stand. After and entire day of seeing nothing I was frustrated, tired, had a headache and was just in a overall bad mood. As I was about to get down and leave in my frustration, but then something clicked and I just looked out on the horizon and watched that beautiful sunset. I felt the same way you did.
Yeah but it still felt good to get home and lay down for a bit
Old 11-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

when im out i just love to sit there have stare downs with a squirrels also i like the quietness to just think about life or what ever
Old 11-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

Great post Rob! I think we all fall into that trap of trying so hard to put that certain animal down that we forget how lucky we are to be able to spend time in God's great outdoors, and take it all in.

A couple of my fondest memories a field was watching a Black Capped Chicadee land on my bow limb and sing his little heart out or meeting a black bear eye to eye at less than 5 yards. I still don't know who was more shocked me or the bear, LOL.

Thanks for reminding us to slow down and enjoy our time a field.

Take care and good luck next week my friend.

Brian
Old 11-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Fork Horn

I love it as well. On my last scouting trip I found the biggest Oak Tree I've ever seen. I was following a fire break I've never used before and was late getting out of the woods because I kept wanting to see "what's around the next corner" I love being in the woods.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Spike

Best thread on the web!

These are the values my dad and uncle instilled in me when I was little and the ones I'm trying to ingrain in my kids' heads. For me, getting an animal is a bonus; just being outside and experiencing a different adventure every time out is why I hunt and fish. One of my fondest ourdoor memories is; a turkey flying in to roost, landing on a limb, the limb breaks, and turkey falls to the ground. Another was the red fox pouncing around in the field less then 15 yards from me. Or the mouse that was gnawing on my bootlace. But my favorite was just a few weeks ago with my son. He was in awe just taking in the sights, smells and sounds of the woods. We saw some deer and turkey on this hunt, heard some coyotes, watched countless birds, but came home with only muddy boots and great memories. Still, my son said to me, "Dad, this was great. Can we come back tomorrow?". He totally gets it now, which is why I'll never forget this hunt.

That's my boy in my avatar - asleep in the field.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.