Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Do you Ever just Stop, Look and Listen? >

Do you Ever just Stop, Look and Listen?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you Ever just Stop, Look and Listen?

Old 11-09-2009, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great post Rob. You are 100% right. We all need to remember to appreciate simply being out there doing what we love. Heck, we wait all year for season to get here and sometimes we get so wrapped up chasing antlers that the season slips away in what seems like days. I agree with what you and several others have stated, it's the little things that a person sees while in the stand that make the experience so great. I love just sitting there seeing how close birds will get, or watching squirrels stock up for winter, etc. Those are the things that can make even a slow hunt a fantastic time in the woods.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, if you're not seeing the forest for the trees, your prioritys in life are miss aligned. There's not a day that I spend out hunting, not matter the animal that I'm in pursuit of, that I don't realize just how lucky I am. There's so many people in the world these days that never leave the BIG city to see nature at it's best. SO many people don't even have the opportunity to even hunt, let along be out in nature.
We've got it good. If you're taking it for granted, you need to look yourself in the mirror and remember, just how lucky you are to be able to enjoy nature at it's best.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

Great post Rob and message. And yes I would say you are blessed and have been blessed! I enjoy every minute I spend out there and know that I have been extremely blessed also.

Rob I think Wed - Thurs things should pick back up.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

awesome rob...had it saturday evening, stand i havent hunted all season...about 4:45 the woods erupt above me, limbs breaking, i said to myself (what the h-e-double hockey sticks is going on)

look up...i count 26 hen turkey...5 long beards...flying over me through the trees, across the creek, landing in the woods at my back ready to roost...gosh darnit that was cool...visions of airplanes dogfighting in the skies...it was cool as anything

minimal deer sightings that evening, but the black sheep turkey squadron made up for it
Old 11-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by The Rev
Hunting to me goes far beyond the actual harvesting of a deer. Some of my best hunts didn't result in a kill.
Amen to that! I agree 100%

I do very much enjoy just being out - and 99% of the time I don't kill anything, and often by choice. Good post Rob!
Old 11-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Ava
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Rob/PA Bowyer
I know in our quest to take Mr Booner with our bows we sometimes forget to stop, look and listen. As I was sitting in my treestand tonight and not seeing a darned thing I happen to look where the sun went down and saw the beauty in the iridescent red, yellow and blue sky.

I took a pic with my cell phone and sent it to several in my contact list. The responses I got were wonderful as well. As the texts were coming in the geese were over head singing their music. Again, I smiled.

There are times we forget to soak it all in.

Take this morning before I got down. I heard the crunch, crunch of leaves knowing it wasn't a squirrel. As it neared I saw a grey/tigered house cat. As it stalked under my stand I ppssst at it and it looked up. I whispered BOO and it turned inside out to leave the area. I just sat there giggling to myself.

I've got to see my 3 legged bear numerous times. The cubs and their antics have made me smile more than once.

I've successfully filled doe tags and one 3 legged doe that will forever be a part of my memories. I've hunted with good friends and shared the woods along with smiles. I am blessed.

I know Germ get's it with his humorous post about seeing sex, cats, atv's, kayakers, hell what doesn't happen to Germ?

bloodcrik gets it, he texted me tonight asking me to call him crazy because he was in a tree with bow in hand coyote hunting. I said, " Not crazy, awesome. ".

I'm weary, I'm tired and yes a little frustrated. I've taken deer this last week before and I may again but I'm not going to lose track of what it's really about and I've had a very fulfilling season.

Good luck to those still hard at it but don't forget to stop and look around.
This post is Frame Worthy!

I'm a new hunter and although I've been out several times trying to hunt squirrels, they've been beating me at my game... I will NOT get frustrated about it because I have been there to Stop, Look and Listen and it has proven to be more than anything I could have ever asked for even though I've been coming home pretty much empty handed.

I was out just this Saturday and although I didn't get my sights on a squirrel, I did get to see a 4 point buck that ended up 10 ft from me as I sat as still as I could, watching him. He was so close, I could see his nostrils flare as he stared me down wondering wth I was. That had me so excited because you never get that close to a deer out and about.

I decided to get out of bed this morning, get my butt in gear and head up onto the hill before the sun came up. I saw 3 deer come through. They're absolutely graceful. I also saw 5 squirrels. I shot at 2 and missed and had my sights on 3 but never squeezed one out on them. Disappointed? A little but being in their home has proven to be such a blessing.

I had a great time sitting behind two fallen trees as my cover just looking and listening as the woods came alive and the sun rose. I couldn't ask for a better past time. I have absolutely found my new hobby. I love it!

Thank you for this post Rob. This is what it's all about and I'm glad to see it for what it's worth as a new hunter than to miss all of it and feel like I wasted my time because I didn't bag my limit.