Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Pa. Guys, what is the story in your neck of the woods? >

Pa. Guys, what is the story in your neck of the woods?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pa. Guys, what is the story in your neck of the woods?

Old 11-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pa. Guys, what is the story in your neck of the woods?

I saw some younger bucks chasing some does around a few days ago, but myself and none of my hunting buddies have seen much in the way of the big boys yet. This warm weather pattern headed our way doesn't excite me to much either. What is going on in your neck of the woods?

Shane
Old 11-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Slow.

With the full moon and standing corn it's been very slow. I saw a big shooter last Saturday checking does. Then, I saw my first doe since that day today. A week with only 2 small buck sightings both morning and evening. Most of the activity has been at night under the moon and cooler weather. This morning I saw a 3.5 year old Rob buck and some does, it was 25 here this morning.

I hope it picks up, I now have 6 days to get it done. I should have shot that Rob buck this morning.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear ya bud. It has been a bit slow here as well. In fact last week I was hunting from 12-dark because of the full moon. Midday movement was ok, but nothing to pull back on yet. Passed up a small 7 and a small 8. With the full moon and now the weird weather coming in, I am afraid the big guys are gonna be scarce. Next week will tell. Guess we always have late season!

Shane
Old 11-08-2009, 12:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's been pretty exciting here! Funny thing is I have not been seeing as many deer but when I see some there going 100mph. With my buck tag filled I had a very very big 8 point come down on a doe 15 yards out he had drool/foam coming from his mouth as did I. My buck tag already full there was my chance to have taken the biggest buck of my life and I had to watch him walk away! I shot a big 8 last year (unrecoverable) which was very respectable deer but this thing was huge! Anyways lots of action here and it happens fast!
Old 11-08-2009, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

It has been pretty good here. I have seen 8 different bucks in the last week. One real good 8 point! On Saturday there was bucks chasing all over the place! But no shooting yet. I have only had shots at small bucks. The full moon kept the deer down until late morning.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

i personally havent seen any chasing or any real signs of the rut in central PA but my buddy and dad have seen a lot back home in the poconos. My dad had a 130 class 8 following a doe around his stand for over 2 hours yesterday and had several other smaller bucks following her trail too. This incoming weather isnt looking too great though
Old 11-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

I saw a smasher 8 this past week follow a doe after he scared off the 7 point that came in. I saw 4 different bucks yesterday morning all chasing doe, but couldn't get drawn on any. Had a decent 6 point at 35 yards, but that's a bit far for me and my recurve. If I hadn't buddies switchback XT that sits in my kitchen I'd have filled both my tags. Things are looking good here in the poconos.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Spike

I've seen a significantly lower number of deer while in my stand over the last week. But, I've seen a few of the big boys with the spotlight shortly after dark, increased rubbing, and some big tracks near my stands. I was pretty excited for the coming week, until seeing the weather report .

Some of my friends in Luzurne, Wyoming, and Sullivan Counties have seen a huge increase in daytime activity in the past few days. There are a lot more does in my area than bucks, so with the unbalanced population there is less competition between bucks, so we don't get the same intense chase. But, the big guys will eventually get a little crazy, and make a daytime mistake.

Hang in there, spend as much time as possible in the woods, and keep a positive attitude even if the conditions aren't perfect. Good luck!
Old 11-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

SLOWWWWWWW. The "rut" has been nonexistant in my neck of the woods at home. (I hunt at home in mckean and at school near slippery rock) At home, I've seen zero chasing, zero pressure from bucks and the bucks are still feeding. Yesterday I had a small 8 come in just before dark and he was just feeding along. No rush to go anywhere. No scent checking. Nothing. Just like last year, so far I'm failing to see a rut.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

Slow her as well in 4C, Schuylkill County. Saw a few small bucks but all were too small to shoot. Smaller bucks were even traveling together. I did find some large scrapes and alot of rubs, so I guess it is starting the rut. I don't know if the warmer weather helps but I have a few days off next week and hope it goes better.

Good Luck to all. Stay Safe!

Kc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.