Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is This A Decent Bow? >

Is This A Decent Bow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is This A Decent Bow?

Old 05-30-2003, 10:40 AM

Default Is This A Decent Bow?

http://www.trapperjacks.com/item.php?id=b6522598fdd55e02f503c397d2234e54
Old 05-30-2003, 11:38 AM

Default RE: Is This A Decent Bow?

it was decent about 15yrs ago[]

a little out dated and who knows what may be wrong with it, or if parts are available.

You get what you pay for 40 bucks

P.S. you look like a man who needs a Bowtech Patriot Dual Cam - you got $500
Old 05-30-2003, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

It could be a good " old" bow but you owe it to the animal to get a good quality bow that shoots good and straight. But you never know til you try
Old 05-30-2003, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is definitely dated.[]

If it needs parts, you could have some trouble, but then, I am having trouble getting modules for a two year old BowTech.[]

If it is in good shape, it certainly could be tuned to shoot accurately, and take game cleanly.

How do you know if it is in good shape? That' s the real question with this type of auction.
Old 05-30-2003, 02:14 PM

You only owe it to any animal to learn to shoot well and keep your gear in good condition to enable good accuracy.

I cannot tell whether the wheels are wide or narrow, but it looks like a model that followed the " Pacer." If so, the bow may be older than 15 years.

Old bows can do the job. You do not need a " supersonic" bow, or one that has a " Gucci" rep. However, as Rack and others have said, you do not know (factually) what condition it is in and whether you would be able to find parts for it.

Also, you do not know what condition the limbs are in. If the owner has left the bow strung for 15 years, or more, you might not be able to use it for anything but a 1-string guitar.

I don' t like that the bow apparently has a " fixed" draw-length and draw-weight, .... of #70 lbs. I am also suspicious of whether the seller actually used the bow. He doesn' t describe the bow nor does he tell what model the bow is. He may not know or know how.

You can do better.
Old 05-30-2003, 02:20 PM

LOL Rackattack you are a salesman at heart!!! What you getting rid of the Bowtech for??? I tell you what.. If I happen to cross $500 ...Ill buy it.. but dont hold your breath too long..
Old 05-30-2003, 06:38 PM
AK

If the condition is useable, it' s a fine bow for $40 or $50. Though not as " advanced" as recent bows, it most certainly is capable of being tuned well and taking game.

The question is really one of condition and if it fits you in draw length and weight. Find out from the seller if the limbs have any cracks, splinters, or other signs of defects. Also, if this is your first dive into archery, have an archery shop measure you for draw length...or there are ways to approximate it at home with a yardstick. There' s 3" of adjustable draw length range on the bow. I forget if the 30" marked represents the maximum draw length or middle length, though.

70#' s (the bow' s maximum) is likely too much for a newcomer, though the weight can be reduced probably to 55#' s. Further, the limbs may not hold the weight they once did, so the actual adjustable weight range may fall closer to 50-65#' s. 50-55#' s is likely a decent starting weight.

If you win the bow, expect to replace the bowstring and to purchase additional arrows in a proper spine. The description doesn' t state what spine the arrows are, so I can' t say if they are in the proper range. Also, figure a shooting glove, armguard, and quiver into your budget. Good luck!

Old 05-30-2003, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

There is definitely nothing wrong with an older bow. I had a Bear Whitetail Hunter up until about 4 or 5 years ago that I did use on occasion. If the limb had not shattered then I would probably still be shooting it sometimes.

For $50-$100 you can easily buy a 2 or 3 year old Nova and definitely still get parts for it. That is one scenario where a bow' s depreciation rate helps some folks out.
Old 05-31-2003, 12:13 PM

I USE TO OWN A BOW EXACTLY LIKE IT. IT IS MUCH TO WEAK TO HARVEST AN ANIMAL WITH IT. IN THE LONG RUN YOU WOULD BE WISE TO GET A BETTER ONE. THERES NOTHING LIKE BUYING A NEW BOW AND HAVING IT SET UP JUST FOR YOU. ESPECIALLY WITH TODAYS TECHNOLOGY.
Old 05-31-2003, 03:08 PM

IT IS MUCH TO WEAK TO HARVEST AN ANIMAL WITH IT
Negatory!

Quick Reply: Is This A Decent Bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.