HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Attention Expandable Broadhead Experts....... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/309134-attention-expandable-broadhead-experts.html)

BetterBirddogs 11-05-2009 01:23 PM

Attention Expandable Broadhead Experts.......

I have shot a buck from 25 yards with the grim reaper. The penetration was amazing with the reaper. It wasn't a pass through though. About 3/4 of the way through. I shot a big doe from 17 yards with a rage 2 blade. The angle was steep but the rage didn't even come out the other side. These were both 100 grain heads. I normally shoot thunderhead 85 grain fixed blade heads and they pass through almost everything.

Here's my dilema. I have a rage left and was thinking about putting it on one of my girlfriends arrows so she could shoot it. If I can't get the rage to come out the other side shooting a Mathews SQ2 with 27 inch arrows at 74 lbs of draw then would it be dumb to have her shoot it out of a Bowtech Diamond shooting 25 inch arrows at 48 lbs.

I'm no expert having only fired the rage one time but my buddy shot a nice buck with one at 9 yards last year and it didn't come out the other side either. He's shooting a Swithback XT 60 lbs with 29 inch arrows. It seems the rage loses a lot of energy after it hits. In the rages defense it does destroy the inside of a deer.

The buck I shot with the reaper and the doe I shot with the rage neither deer made it 50 yards.

With as much energy as the rage loses it makes me paranoid to shoot it out of a low poundage setup. What do you think?

YooperMike 11-05-2009 01:36 PM

Absolutely do not put that Rage on her bow. Not enough energy, not by a long shot IMO. I'm not an "expert" I don't think, just been hunting quite a while. My wife hunts, she shoots a Vectrix at 52 lbs. She is using Montecs and has had good success with them. For lower poundage, lighter arrows that alot of women shoot, I always advocate a cut on contact fixed blade head, like a Montec, or whatever else you choose, but COC is the best choice.

I shoot Grim Reapers, but I'm also shooting 65# and 585 grain arrows, and they perform wonderfully, massive holes, but with that kind of energy, I could push them through a buffalo. Do your gf a favor and get her a COC broadhead that she can have confidence in.

bigtim6656 11-05-2009 01:41 PM

I shot my muzzys with practice blades. No diff what so ever from field points. Infact the muzzys shot alittle better. Odd i know i am now hooked on muzzys. Switch give the expanables and all those others up

2 Lunger 11-05-2009 01:51 PM

Don't let her shoot the rage. That head is based specifically on K.E. They do have the special head for low K.E. setups. My cousin has killed 3 deer with the 3 blade rage on a 27" draw at 60 lbs with a Bowtech Equalizer and has blown through all 3 of them and all three deer never made it 50 yards from the impact.

rangerboy 11-05-2009 01:55 PM

shot a doe this year took out two ribs on the way in and two on the way out, complete passthrough shooting 64 pounds. Dad shot a doe quartering away and also had a complete passthrough shooting 58 pounds. I also shot a 300+ pound russian boar and buried the arrow in to the fletchings. No problem with penetration here.

sr77 11-05-2009 02:14 PM

I would lay off the Rage shooting that kind of poundage and get her a quality fixed blade.

Shane

GPMD 11-05-2009 03:02 PM

I have 5 deer to my credit using Rage, including 3 bucks. I use the 2 blade head and draw weight around 65lbs. My first was a severe quartering away angle, I hit him way more back and the arrow went all the way in, was not a pass thru, deer made it 100yds, bad shot. The next was a 4pt at 22 yds, great shot, no pass thru but AMAZING blood trail out of both holes, deer was down in 60 yds. The next 3 were between 8-17 yards, all were complete pass thrus and each deer dropped within 50 yards. I guess it all depends on placement but my experience shows complete pass thru more than half the time. When I was a kid, I was shooting a 50lb bow with fixed Satellite heads if you remember those. I got 2 deer, both does but both pass thrus. I think with todays muzzys and thunderheads, she'd have no problem with penetration at lower draw weights

wingchaser_labs 11-05-2009 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by BetterBirddogs (Post 3496506)
I have shot a buck from 25 yards with the grim reaper. The penetration was amazing with the reaper. It wasn't a pass through though. About 3/4 of the way through. I shot a big doe from 17 yards with a rage 2 blade. The angle was steep but the rage didn't even come out the other side. These were both 100 grain heads. I normally shoot thunderhead 85 grain fixed blade heads and they pass through almost everything.

Here's my dilema. I have a rage left and was thinking about putting it on one of my girlfriends arrows so she could shoot it. If I can't get the rage to come out the other side shooting a Mathews SQ2 with 27 inch arrows at 74 lbs of draw then would it be dumb to have her shoot it out of a Bowtech Diamond shooting 25 inch arrows at 48 lbs.

Amazing penetration?? Sounds like you got poor to maybe average penetration for only a 25 and 17 yard shots shooting 74 lbs. You don't have to be an expert to figure out if 2/3s the poundage (48) of what your shooting will be enough to get good penetration when you aren't even getting pass throughs. Find her a good fixed blade (muzzy!! :) ). Good luck. WCL

Howler 11-05-2009 04:08 PM

I think you know already that she just doesn't have enough KE to be using any expandable to shoot deer with. Too many good fixed blade heads to choose from to even chance it!

ElkNutz 11-05-2009 04:23 PM

I would put the Rage in the trash but thats just my opinion. ;)