HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Help settle a recovery debate (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/309109-help-settle-recovery-debate.html)

realbrokeroadtrips 11-05-2009 08:43 AM

Help settle a recovery debate

A guy who works for the same farm I do has a son who is a pretty avid and successful bowhunter who I always had a bit of respect for... until now.

Tuesday eve. he rattled in a 140ish buck here in central il took a 12yd broadside shot that he said sounded good and he was sure he got a good hit. (70lb diamond, g5 montecs)

He waited till dark (the shot was at 330), got down, and found 8" of his splintered arrow and no blood at the scene.

He then got discouraged, and GAVE UP!

I begged his dad to tell him to pick me up and track that deer. His response(the son)..... "I'll think about it"
Haven't heard from him yet.

I'll bet that deer was actually quartering away slightly and he hit the offside shoulder. When the deer bolted with the arrow firmly buried in the bone, he sheared off the arrow with his other leg, and is dead within 100 yds. Your thoughts?

GR8atta2d 11-05-2009 08:47 AM

No debate, the kids a slob!

downbuck014 11-05-2009 08:52 AM

Its a disgrace to give up on a deer like that.

chevymanar 11-05-2009 08:59 AM

I don't see the debate. That was crappy on his part, no doubt about it.

Gundeck 11-05-2009 09:01 AM

I am feeling bad that I am at work having only spent about six hours looking for the little buck I shot last night. If I could afford the whole day off, I would still be out there looking.

ManofTheFall 11-05-2009 09:07 AM

I will give my best effort on any deer I hit whether I think it was a good or bad shot. He doesn't deserve to even be in the woods if he doesn't go after that deer.

Kris24 11-05-2009 09:07 AM

Can you not go look yourself? Finders are keepers in this case. Not that I would take credit for the kill or anything like that, but a nice deer laying out there dead deserves more respect. Find him and honor him!!! ---And dont give it to the sorry kid!!!

chevymanar 11-05-2009 09:09 AM

I'm wondering if that 140" buck was a fish story this guy told his Dad, I mean who in their right mind wouldn't go look for a deer like that??

DeerandbearhoG 11-05-2009 09:18 AM

Wait, youre saying this guys an experienced bowhunter, and he found only 8" of the rear portion of the shaft ,which tells anyone w/ basic math skills, that close to 20" of arrow, went into the front half of a 140" buck, and he just gave up and walked away cause there was no blood? He didnt look at all? I dont think you got the whole story, cause if that arrow hit any where close to what he described, that is a dead deer that shouldnt even reqire a blood trail. Shame, but its his loss. As much as I hate to see a deer go to waste, Id give it a couple weeks ,(so he cant claim it)and go get the rack and show it off to him and tell him how nice the horns will look on your garageLOL ,what an idiot!

halfbakedi420 11-05-2009 09:35 AM

disgraceful, show off the rack? leave it there fer a few weeks..plz tell me your kiddin..

deer dude..go and get that buck yourself, the dad will let ya, aint like your huntin..jus trackin..i kno in my heart the dad will say you can, if ya need a ride holla at me!

2 Lunger 11-05-2009 09:44 AM

[quote=halfbakedi420;3496276]disgraceful, show off the rack? leave it there fer a few weeks..plz tell me your kiddin..

deer dude..go and get that buck yourself, the dad will let ya, aint like your huntin..jus trackin..i kno in my heart the dad will say you can, if ya need a ride holla at me![/quote]

Good grief. Please quit posting when your stoned. Are you seriously going to drive from Tx. to IL. to give this guy a ride to find this deer?

Rob/PA Bowyer 11-05-2009 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by downbuck014 (Post 3496227)
Its a disgrace to give up on a deer like that.

It's a disgrace to give up on any deer without a reasonable search.

realbrokeroadtrips 11-05-2009 12:09 PM

It's a big secret exactly where he was hunting. He's got exclusive rights to some great ground around here. My only hope is that the next time I go help farm, his Dad will tell me that he went back and found it later. Maybe he just didn't want anyone else stompin' around "his" woods.
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

MATHEWS PA BOWHUNTER 11-05-2009 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by gr8atta2d (Post 3496221)
no debate, the kids a slob!

x2

i couldn't agree more

nodog 11-05-2009 12:59 PM

!2 yrd broadside was most likely a high hit. Deer might be dead, good chance it's not, not within a hundred yards anyways. If he hit the shoulder he hit it high and a g5 isn't the kind of head that slices, more like punches a hole, thus no blood.

Tell the guy to stand as far away from his target as he was from that deer and see were the arrow impacts. I missed a deer earlier this year and after doing the same thing I know why. Changed my sights and killed the next 2 who were also close.

You guys need either a good tracking dog or find someone who has one. Used my untrained hound dog on the last one, simply amazing. I pity the creature that thinks it can eluded that dog. Even with all kinds of critters to distract him, he was full speed ahead with only putting his nose down every so often. I already knew most of the story before getting him, just didn't know the last part. Dog did in five minutes what took me an hour.

A deer of that caliber isn't going down easily. Got a be some of the toughest animals on the planet at taking a hit and surviving.

Does sound like he could've put in a better effort.

sr77 11-05-2009 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rob/PA Bowyer (Post 3496296)
It's a disgrace to give up on any deer without a reasonable search.

Very well said. Couldn't agree more Rob. There are a few "hunters" out there that don't realize the responsibilty they take when drawing a bow back on a live animal. This post is a classic example of a slob hunter.

Shane

bigtim6656 11-05-2009 02:02 PM

When i shot the young doe in the leg she bedded down and igot downto get closer to get a closer shot. She was to far and behind a tree so no shot from the stand. i got within 40 yards and moved around to get a side shot. She gets up runs away. I followed her but she just keep running. I figured If i keep going I would push her till she ran off and died from running with awhole in her leg. I knew i would not catch her.I stopped and felt bad about stopping so soon. But dam get down look at the arrow and give up. heck i missed one last week the arrow was clean i still walked the same trail to make sure. I saw the deer with no blood i knew i missed but i made sure. SOunds like the deer is dead and he should find it.If i where you and knew where he was i would find it myself.

halfbakedi420 11-05-2009 02:19 PM

[quote=2 Lunger;3496291]

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420 (Post 3496276)
disgraceful, show off the rack? leave it there fer a few weeks..plz tell me your kiddin..

deer dude..go and get that buck yourself, the dad will let ya, aint like your huntin..jus trackin..i kno in my heart the dad will say you can, if ya need a ride holla at me![/quote]

Good grief. Please quit posting when your stoned. Are you seriously going to drive from Tx. to IL. to give this guy a ride to find this deer?

IBTL :barmy::barmy::barmy::barmy::barmy::barmy::barmy:: barmy: the ball and chain too

wvOHIOfan 11-05-2009 03:16 PM

There is no debate here. He shouldn't be allowed to hunt. If he refuses to go and find that deer and you know where he hunts go get that deer. I'd go with you if I could. The deer, and our reputation as hunters, deserve better.

ahunter55 11-05-2009 08:17 PM

I hope you decided to go look for that deer. Let us know...

Fieldmouse 11-05-2009 08:59 PM

Never happened. There is no way a kid shoots a big deer like that and doesn't do what he can to search for it. I've seen too many folks cry over a smaller buck and refuse not to look. This was a wet dream or he did something fishy to get the shot.