HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Help settle a recovery debate (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/309109-help-settle-recovery-debate.html)

realbrokeroadtrips 11-05-2009 08:43 AM

Help settle a recovery debate

A guy who works for the same farm I do has a son who is a pretty avid and successful bowhunter who I always had a bit of respect for... until now.

Tuesday eve. he rattled in a 140ish buck here in central il took a 12yd broadside shot that he said sounded good and he was sure he got a good hit. (70lb diamond, g5 montecs)

He waited till dark (the shot was at 330), got down, and found 8" of his splintered arrow and no blood at the scene.

He then got discouraged, and GAVE UP!

I begged his dad to tell him to pick me up and track that deer. His response(the son)..... "I'll think about it"
Haven't heard from him yet.

I'll bet that deer was actually quartering away slightly and he hit the offside shoulder. When the deer bolted with the arrow firmly buried in the bone, he sheared off the arrow with his other leg, and is dead within 100 yds. Your thoughts?

GR8atta2d 11-05-2009 08:47 AM

No debate, the kids a slob!

downbuck014 11-05-2009 08:52 AM

Its a disgrace to give up on a deer like that.

chevymanar 11-05-2009 08:59 AM

I don't see the debate. That was crappy on his part, no doubt about it.

Gundeck 11-05-2009 09:01 AM

I am feeling bad that I am at work having only spent about six hours looking for the little buck I shot last night. If I could afford the whole day off, I would still be out there looking.

ManofTheFall 11-05-2009 09:07 AM

I will give my best effort on any deer I hit whether I think it was a good or bad shot. He doesn't deserve to even be in the woods if he doesn't go after that deer.

Kris24 11-05-2009 09:07 AM

Can you not go look yourself? Finders are keepers in this case. Not that I would take credit for the kill or anything like that, but a nice deer laying out there dead deserves more respect. Find him and honor him!!! ---And dont give it to the sorry kid!!!

chevymanar 11-05-2009 09:09 AM

I'm wondering if that 140" buck was a fish story this guy told his Dad, I mean who in their right mind wouldn't go look for a deer like that??

DeerandbearhoG 11-05-2009 09:18 AM

Wait, youre saying this guys an experienced bowhunter, and he found only 8" of the rear portion of the shaft ,which tells anyone w/ basic math skills, that close to 20" of arrow, went into the front half of a 140" buck, and he just gave up and walked away cause there was no blood? He didnt look at all? I dont think you got the whole story, cause if that arrow hit any where close to what he described, that is a dead deer that shouldnt even reqire a blood trail. Shame, but its his loss. As much as I hate to see a deer go to waste, Id give it a couple weeks ,(so he cant claim it)and go get the rack and show it off to him and tell him how nice the horns will look on your garageLOL ,what an idiot!

halfbakedi420 11-05-2009 09:35 AM

disgraceful, show off the rack? leave it there fer a few weeks..plz tell me your kiddin..

deer dude..go and get that buck yourself, the dad will let ya, aint like your huntin..jus trackin..i kno in my heart the dad will say you can, if ya need a ride holla at me!