Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Nice Iowa Buck Down >

Nice Iowa Buck Down

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nice Iowa Buck Down

Old 11-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Nice Iowa Buck Down

My largest buck yet.

Heres the story...

Sittin in my stand and decided to do some random grunt calls and doe bleats. Looked behind me and the 155-160 inch buck I missed yesterday night was coming in...he came right behind me about 40 yards and bedded down. Of course no shot was available because of all the trees and branches. After 10 minutes of watching that beast, he finally got up and walked off in the opposite direction. Then around 5:00 I see a buck eating in the hay field and he disappears over the hill. Then I see a doe appear like a minute after and shes feeding on top of the hill and I knew right there that that buck was gonna be right on her tail. I waited like 2 minutes and sure enough she sprints off and that buck appears. I grunted at him and he didn't seem to excited about coming over but for some odd reason he walked away from his doe and went into the bean field that my stand overlooked. He just stayed up on the hill eating and he still wouldn't come to my grunt calls. So I did a doe bleat and that got his attention because he started over pretty fast. He walked about 150 yards before getting to me and he was probably around 25 yards at my. Im at full draw but hes quartering to me so I wasn't gonna shoot until he turns broadside. But then I noticed he got all stiff and his hair started sticking up. Here I am at full draw for about 10 seconds (seems like forever) and this buck getting in his fighting mode. I quickly look to where he was looking at and there was another (large) buck walking by. Then I focused back on the buck closer to me. Hes still quartering towards me so I didn't want to shoot. Then he starts sprinting to the buck. He was in there for a fight. I guess that didn't happend because about 5:20, BOTH of those bucks walk right to me... Not sure why. But this one walked about 17-18 yards away and I let him have it. He ran off and that other buck was right behind him. I got down to look for my arrow but couldn't find it. Then I started walking towards where the ran off. No blood. About 40 yards later. No blood. What the heck? Then all of a sudden BAM! blood everywhere! Great blood trail. It was very easy to follow. There was just blood everywhere. I followed the blood trail right to where I had another stand and I found my arrow laying there covered in blood. Then about 15 yards from my arrow was the buck. He ran about 300 yards with blood pouring out everywhere the whole way.
You may think... heart shot? Well your wrong. The shot was a little back and when I saw the buck I thought gut shot but why would he bleed so much? So im going with a liver shot.

I shot this buck with my diamond rapture that I got 3 years ago. I have only shot one deer with it and that was last year. Then this was my second deer with it and my first buck with it. It will also be the last because monday I bought a PSE bowmadness and I plan on using it the rest of the season.
This was a good way to end my time with the diamond rapture.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great job Andrew! way to stick with it and put one down. Unfortunate that it wasnt the big boy but that is still certainly an awesome buck. Congrats!!
Old 11-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

Great deer! Glad to hear that they are moving on the bleats, had you tried any rattling?

I'm just curious, I will be taking a LONG weekend starting tomorrow ;-) and am hoping they are moving hard in central Iowa
Old 11-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

congrats bro on a dandy buck!
Old 11-05-2009, 04:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice Buck!! Way to Go!!

Dan
Old 11-05-2009, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IOWABUCKHUNTR
Great deer! Glad to hear that they are moving on the bleats, had you tried any rattling?

I'm just curious, I will be taking a LONG weekend starting tomorrow ;-) and am hoping they are moving hard in central Iowa
Thanks guys.

IOWABUCKHUNTER, they seem to like the doe bleats. I've brought in 4 bucks in the past two week from them. The does seem to come to them sometimes too.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:30 AM
Typical Buck

Nice buck, sounds like an incredible hunt. Congratulations.
Chris
Old 11-05-2009, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awsome Job, yeah the bucks around here like the Doe bleats to..!! Congrats on the Kill..

-NICK
Old 11-05-2009, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats awesome, beautiful buck!!
Old 11-05-2009, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like blood all the way to the vains on the arrow, but obviously didn't get a complete pass through, or had it gone all the way through but not out until he ran?

Congrats on a nice buck. Sounds like a great hunt with lots of action.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.