Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
HELP!! Wounded deer >

HELP!! Wounded deer

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HELP!! Wounded deer

Old 11-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by klundin2000
The buck in the picture traveled .77 miles (GPS tracked) before it died. There was no blood at all for a 1/2 mile where it crossed a cow and a horse pasture. I shot it at 7 yards and unfortuntely my arrow went exactly where I placed my 20 yard pin...low. With the aid of the GPS and the tracks function on I was able to see areas that I might have missed.
Great advice Klundin! I will definitely use that tomorrow.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Spike

Just wanted to post a final update on the buck I shot Wednesday. I looked for a few hours again today, with no luck. There was simply too much woods to cover. Thanks for the help, I guess I'll chalk this one up as a good lesson learned.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Spike

"Besides a tiny piece of white hair 10 yards "
This would indicate alot of times a lower shot, maybe the exit hole came out low, or you hit him alot lower than you think.... i would think if you hit him where you posted the pic, and exited low, you would have possibly got a lung, maybe even a heart as well...
Same thing happened to me, hit in the same area you posted, and the arrow stayed in him... but found 0 blood, but did find him after 60 yards...
Sorry to hear, I know first hand how bad it feels when you realize...
Old 11-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

i would get some friends together and spread out.. and cover as much ground as possible.. might be too late but thts just a suggestion
Old 11-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

First of all a loud THWACK was you first indication of something wrong from the onset.

Sounds to me like, at best, a shoulder blade hit. What poundage bow ya shooting?

Now you owe it to the deer to put in the time. A large tract of land seems unsearchable, you have to break it down into small sections and search each thoroughly, before moving on to the next small area.

I'm sure if you hit it Weds..that the deer is wasted. look for crows or vultures over an area..it may bring at least a closing on this saga.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

If you are sure that is where your arrow entered at that steep of an angle that deer is dead. I would go to the spot you last saw him with a buddy or two. spread out a little and walk in the direction you last saw him. I'll bet you find him pretty quick.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would also look for a deer walking with it's toes spread apart. That is a sign of a wounded deer trying to keep it's balance. But as others suggested go to the spot you last saw him and tie a ribbon on a bush or tree branch ect.. Start making small circles and expand them out as you keep searching. If the deer is hit where you say it was it would be dead by now that is for sure. I shot one that ran roughly 300 yards on a double lung shot a couple of years ago. It was light rain that day and all the blood got washed away while I waited before searching. That one fell while trying to circle me but it took a couple of hours to find it.. I would also be trying to here crows fighting over it by now..