Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
HELP!! Wounded deer >

HELP!! Wounded deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HELP!! Wounded deer

Old 11-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

We had the same problem about two weeks ago, using the new rage 2 inch expandables. Holy cow did it put a hole in him, but with that hole came everything else, ended up plugging the hole on the exit side.

Just be prepared to put in some time on him tomorrow and good luck! The hit sounds like a dead deer. Get some pics up for us when you find him!
Old 11-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Spike

Thats the exact same broadhead I'm using. That makes me feel a lot better.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:51 AM
Spike

That's a dead deer. Sometimes it will take longer for blood from a deer hit high to bleed. Make sure to look up on brush and not just on the ground. Just look hard and mark your trail. It is very easy to get turned around and forget where you have walked when your head is to the ground. I take a roll of toilet paper when tracking deer. I hang it in tree branches as I walk when I find blood. It helps me keep track where I have been and where the blood is. It also makes your back trail very visible. Good luck! You will find him.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

I got a doe early this season from about the same height/distance. Same thing, very very little blood and I was using the rage 2 blade. I was lucky enough to see the trail she ran on so I followed and didn't find blood for a good 40yds. She lay dead about 60 yards away, and the only blood was the last 20. The exit wound was huge but plugged up with all of the insides. I actually had to cut from the hole down when field dressing to get everything out because so much was on the outside of the hole. I got 2 other deer this year with the rage and both went no more than 40 yds and fell within eyesight, i think those steep angles are a sure way to plug the hole with Rage
Old 11-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

Any update on this?
Old 11-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, if you hit him there, you should find your deer. Hope you make out ok bud.

Shane
Old 11-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Spike

Well, I spent all morning looking for the deer with no luck. I combed every inch of the woods and didn't find hair, blood, tracks, or anything. I really feel awful, but without a blood trail I'm pretty much fishing in the dark. I'm not going to give up yet, and its been cold so I'm going to look again tomorrow morning.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

Hopefully you find it!

Good luck! Keep us posted!
Old 11-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

The buck in the picture traveled .77 miles (GPS tracked) before it died. There was no blood at all for a 1/2 mile where it crossed a cow and a horse pasture. I shot it at 7 yards and unfortuntely my arrow went exactly where I placed my 20 yard pin...low. With the aid of the GPS and the tracks function on I was able to see areas that I might have missed.

Good luck finding your deer. kl
Old 11-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

IF what you say & show is correct-he should be close to where you last saw him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.