HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   taking a bow and a gun to the woods. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/308909-taking-bow-gun-woods.html)

bigtim6656 11-03-2009 04:20 PM

taking a bow and a gun to the woods.

I am getting my triumph this week. Indiana gun season is buck only. I was wondering if any of you knew if it was legal to take a bow and a muzzleloader into the woods at the same time. I am talking gun season. With both tags. Figured if a buck came in range for bow i could kill himfor the contest or if a doe came in range.

BurdBuster 11-03-2009 06:53 PM

I know in minnesota the bow laws specifically state that anyone bow hunting may not have a firearm of any sort in their possesion

englum_06 11-03-2009 07:45 PM

Highly doubt it, but don't know for sure. Here in IL, bow season is cancelled during firearm seasons. It is legal though to BOWHUNT during the December MUZZLELOADER season as long as you wear orange.

SwampCollie 11-04-2009 12:29 AM

Speaking from sort of experience here... you'd better hire yourself a caddy to tote all that stuff in the woods... I found out the hard way in my youth that trying to hunt/kill everything you can at once is a good way to end up with nothing but a goose egg.... even just swapping shells in a shotgun becomes a chore.... and you end up spooking more than you get a decent opportunity at.

I'd pick one and roll with it.... all assuming that its legal in the first place.

brasmunky 11-04-2009 01:20 AM

check with DNR. alot of states you can carry a bow during a firearms season but you cannot carry a gun during bow season.

bigtim6656 11-04-2009 04:23 AM

True i thought switching between a gun and a bow. I think i will ask the next time i am at the property dnr office i hunt. I think in a ground blind it could be done but in a stand might be a issue.

Originally Posted by SwampCollie (Post 3494627)
Speaking from sort of experience here... you'd better hire yourself a caddy to tote all that stuff in the woods... I found out the hard way in my youth that trying to hunt/kill everything you can at once is a good way to end up with nothing but a goose egg.... even just swapping shells in a shotgun becomes a chore.... and you end up spooking more than you get a decent opportunity at.

I'd pick one and roll with it.... all assuming that its legal in the first place.

HuntingEd 11-04-2009 05:11 AM

I do it quite frequently because I'd prefer to kill an animal w/ the bow, but more than once I didnt get to shoot really nice bucks becasue I had a bow during gun season. In most states (again you should check your own regs) you're allowed to hunt w/ a bow during firearms season as long as you have on orange. In fact I'll be doing it this weekend. It's not as hard as you think, I just carry a screw-in ez hanger for the bow and a screw in hook for the gun and hang both weapons from the tree, then you just pick up whichever you need. It can be cumbersome and I only do it if I'm going to a pre-hung stand, its too much w/ a climber...

Now throw in a decoy, food for all day hunt, extra clothes for warmth and a 1.5 mile walk like I'm doing this weekend and you better walk in with just shorts and a t-shirt on! :)

bigtim6656 11-04-2009 06:21 AM

Ihunt a ladder stand or on the ground. My thought is my stand is on about 5 good trails that will bringthe deer within bow range most time 20 to 30 yards. Buti have a full view of a bigbean field and know there are deer all over the field any given time. I am going to call the dnr office and ask them.

Originally Posted by HuntingEd (Post 3494783)
I do it quite frequently because I'd prefer to kill an animal w/ the bow, but more than once I didnt get to shoot really nice bucks becasue I had a bow during gun season. In most states (again you should check your own regs) you're allowed to hunt w/ a bow during firearms season as long as you have on orange. In fact I'll be doing it this weekend. It's not as hard as you think, I just carry a screw-in ez hanger for the bow and a screw in hook for the gun and hang both weapons from the tree, then you just pick up whichever you need. It can be cumbersome and I only do it if I'm going to a pre-hung stand, its too much w/ a climber...

Now throw in a decoy, food for all day hunt, extra clothes for warmth and a 1.5 mile walk like I'm doing this weekend and you better walk in with just shorts and a t-shirt on! :)

halfbakedi420 11-04-2009 06:28 AM

deer dude

if its rifle season you can take whatever means you will like...but durin bow you cant carry a firearm while huntin with a broadhead.
durin a muzzle loader season, no bows allowed, jus muzzy

orange only pertains if you are not on private property

BvrHunter 11-04-2009 06:56 AM

I know in Va. it is illegal to have two types of hunting weapons on a single person while hunting. For ex. a Blackpowder and bow. Would be nice though. Stick em if they are close, or reach out an touch one if there are 125 yards in a field

HuntingEd 11-04-2009 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by BvrHunter (Post 3494893)
I know in Va. it is illegal to have two types of hunting weapons on a single person while hunting. For ex. a Blackpowder and bow. Would be nice though. Stick em if they are close, or reach out an touch one if there are 125 yards in a field

I think you're wrong on this, atleast from what I read in the regs. for instance this week you can carry both in VA.

The Outdoorsman 11-04-2009 07:57 AM

yes you can do that, I did it last year. Was tough carrying everything out that and having it ready in the stand. I live in Indiana as well. And our gun season isnt buck only, you can harvest a doe.

BvrHunter 11-04-2009 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by HuntingEd (Post 3494917)
I think you're wrong on this, atleast from what I read in the regs. for instance this week you can carry both in VA.

Not saying that I have never been wrong, I just always heard that you couldn't carry both at the same time. I looked high and low through the Virginia Game and Inland Fisheries website and technically didn't see anything that said you couldn't. So I emailed them the specific question. Could you carry your bow and your blackpowder. I shall let you know what the official answer is when I get it :)

HuntingEd 11-04-2009 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by BvrHunter (Post 3494959)
Not saying that I have never been wrong, I just always heard that you couldn't carry both at the same time. I looked high and low through the Virginia Game and Inland Fisheries website and technically didn't see anything that said you couldn't. So I emailed them the specific question. Could you carry your bow and your blackpowder. I shall let you know what the official answer is when I get it :)

Please do, because I plan on it. There is a line in the ML regs where it says you can carry archery equip when the seasons overlap, and both seasons go until 13th, I don't see why it would matter?:confused0024:

rookie51 11-04-2009 08:50 AM

Tim you can shoot a doe in Indiana with a gun you just have to buy the correct tag.

BvrHunter 11-04-2009 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by HuntingEd (Post 3495001)
Please do, because I plan on it. There is a line in the ML regs where it says you can carry archery equip when the seasons overlap, and both seasons go until 13th, I don't see why it would matter?:confused0024:

Ok well never got an email so I decided to call them through the customer service. And Rick on the other line told me that, in Va. now I don't know about other states, but in Va. you can hunt with both your bow and your blackpowder as long as you have a current lisence for both!!! So I stand corrected, and glad I am cause I shall be taking both from here on out :party0007:Good luck and be Safe out there

bigtim6656 11-04-2009 11:40 AM

ya it is the gun license is buck only though you can use the bonus tag. Proplem is on the FWA i hunt it is not good for the first 12 days of gun season. Better then the last 6 and after from last year.

Originally Posted by The Outdoorsman (Post 3494946)
yes you can do that, I did it last year. Was tough carrying everything out that and having it ready in the stand. I live in Indiana as well. And our gun season isnt buck only, you can harvest a doe.

gutshot 11-04-2009 12:11 PM

It's illegal here in WV to be afield with both gun and bow.

halfbakedi420 11-04-2009 12:17 PM

in a muzzy season only, can you carry a bow? i wouldnt think so, unless they overlap as stated befor me..

bigcountry 11-04-2009 12:18 PM

I do it during gun season. I usually have my 460 Smith pistol, for any shot I might want to take over 20 yards, but it would be shame not to make a nice traditional bow shot with a big boy walking under you.

But its never worked out for me. If they are on top of you, its hard to make a decision on weapon used.

HuntingEd 11-04-2009 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by BvrHunter (Post 3495179)
Ok well never got an email so I decided to call them through the customer service. And Rick on the other line told me that, in Va. now I don't know about other states, but in Va. you can hunt with both your bow and your blackpowder as long as you have a current lisence for both!!! So I stand corrected, and glad I am cause I shall be taking both from here on out :party0007:Good luck and be Safe out there

Thanks for the info! Good to know since I'm leaving for VA in a few hrs!:barmy:

BvrHunter 11-05-2009 04:07 AM

Just got the official email this mornig and this is how it reads.......

Mr. Davis,

You may carry your bow and muzzleloader at the same time as long as the seasons for bow and blackpowder are overlapping. You must abide by the season, sex & bag limits for each respective season or weapon.

You may carry your bow or muzzleloader during the rifle/shotgun season for deer, but you will need to abide by the rifle/shotgun laws for deer..not the archery/ blackpowder laws.

You can not carry your rifle/shotgun with you during the archery/blackpowder season.

Captain K. C. Clarke
Virginia Conservation Police
Department of Game & Inland Fisheries
Region IV, Law Enforcement Division
P. O. Box 996
Verona, VA. 24482
(540) 248-9360

BvrHunter 11-05-2009 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by HuntingEd (Post 3495258)
Thanks for the info! Good to know since I'm leaving for VA in a few hrs!:barmy:

Thats awesome.... where at in Va will you be?? There are some nice bruisers around, hope you get a whack at one...