Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
taking a bow and a gun to the woods. >

taking a bow and a gun to the woods.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

taking a bow and a gun to the woods.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BvrHunter
I know in Va. it is illegal to have two types of hunting weapons on a single person while hunting. For ex. a Blackpowder and bow. Would be nice though. Stick em if they are close, or reach out an touch one if there are 125 yards in a field
I think you're wrong on this, atleast from what I read in the regs. for instance this week you can carry both in VA.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

yes you can do that, I did it last year. Was tough carrying everything out that and having it ready in the stand. I live in Indiana as well. And our gun season isnt buck only, you can harvest a doe.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by HuntingEd
I think you're wrong on this, atleast from what I read in the regs. for instance this week you can carry both in VA.
Not saying that I have never been wrong, I just always heard that you couldn't carry both at the same time. I looked high and low through the Virginia Game and Inland Fisheries website and technically didn't see anything that said you couldn't. So I emailed them the specific question. Could you carry your bow and your blackpowder. I shall let you know what the official answer is when I get it
Old 11-04-2009, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BvrHunter
Not saying that I have never been wrong, I just always heard that you couldn't carry both at the same time. I looked high and low through the Virginia Game and Inland Fisheries website and technically didn't see anything that said you couldn't. So I emailed them the specific question. Could you carry your bow and your blackpowder. I shall let you know what the official answer is when I get it
Please do, because I plan on it. There is a line in the ML regs where it says you can carry archery equip when the seasons overlap, and both seasons go until 13th, I don't see why it would matter?
Old 11-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Tim you can shoot a doe in Indiana with a gun you just have to buy the correct tag.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by HuntingEd
Please do, because I plan on it. There is a line in the ML regs where it says you can carry archery equip when the seasons overlap, and both seasons go until 13th, I don't see why it would matter?
Ok well never got an email so I decided to call them through the customer service. And Rick on the other line told me that, in Va. now I don't know about other states, but in Va. you can hunt with both your bow and your blackpowder as long as you have a current lisence for both!!! So I stand corrected, and glad I am cause I shall be taking both from here on out Good luck and be Safe out there
Old 11-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ya it is the gun license is buck only though you can use the bonus tag. Proplem is on the FWA i hunt it is not good for the first 12 days of gun season. Better then the last 6 and after from last year.
Originally Posted by The Outdoorsman
yes you can do that, I did it last year. Was tough carrying everything out that and having it ready in the stand. I live in Indiana as well. And our gun season isnt buck only, you can harvest a doe.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's illegal here in WV to be afield with both gun and bow.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

in a muzzy season only, can you carry a bow? i wouldnt think so, unless they overlap as stated befor me..
Old 11-04-2009, 12:18 PM
bigcountry

I do it during gun season. I usually have my 460 Smith pistol, for any shot I might want to take over 20 yards, but it would be shame not to make a nice traditional bow shot with a big boy walking under you.

But its never worked out for me. If they are on top of you, its hard to make a decision on weapon used.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.