Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How can I get a doe down? >

How can I get a doe down?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How can I get a doe down?

Old 11-03-2009, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default How can I get a doe down?

I need to shoot a doe before I can get my buck tag (Stupid Wisconsin law but that's a different story). Is it too late to use fawn bleats to bring does in? I was using one the other day and I think a doe came into it but it was coming from behind me and i was on the ground so it startled me then ran haha...but it might have just been standing there the whole time...are there any other techniques or things I can do to get a doe down? I've been putting so much time in and I see them but never anywhere near me
Old 11-03-2009, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just called a doe in last night with a fawn bleat, so I would give it a try.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

Are you constantly seeing them in the same area? Are they moving toward a certain food source? Sounds like you might need to move your stand closer to where you are seeing them. If you are hunting from the ground, try setting up about 20 yards from where you have seen them, cant say enough about scent control and keeping the wind in your favor. sounds simple, lol. your hunting, thats the key, the fawn bleat can work. good Luck!
Old 11-03-2009, 08:17 AM
Spike

If its legal in your area, buy some type of attractant, acorn rage, curiosity scents, etc. the best that i have found sounds crazy but im tellin you it works! dig a hole about 5 or 6 inches deep about 12 to 15 yards from your stand. stick a jar of peanut butter in it and leave it for 2 or 3 days so they can find it...it wont take long...once they find it, they'll tear it up!
Old 11-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Road Kill just kidding!
Old 11-03-2009, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any known bedding areas where your hunting? Do you know what their eating? Set up in between these two and kill one going to the food or going back to bed.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

How do you get a doe down? Answer = Shoot it!

Could not resist.

I agree with ZMAX. The does will still be looking for food at this point in the year to fatten up before winter hits. You mentioned that you are seeing deer. If you are consistently seeing them in the same spot, wait for the right wind and move in. Like anything else, it just takes time.

Remeber, if you always do things exactly the same, you will not get a different result. I would stay away from the calls as this alerts deer that something is in the area. Not fun to take a shot at an alert deer. Just move into the area you are seeing them the most. Good Luck
Old 11-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

If you are seeing does with the bow it is only a matter of time before you get a shot, just be patient and it will happen. If you notice a particular pattern, get yourself in that pattern path. Remember getting a deer is usually a matter of putting in the hours. It is easy to get discouraged, but just keep trying and good things will happen...
Old 11-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt a 60 acre plot of solid marsh grass and reeds basically...there are tons of trails going through it and I have 7 different stands I could use. On the perimeter there are two different soybean fields they always go into to eat, the problem is that I don't know how they're getting from the marsh to the fields, I always see them in there through my binos when I'm hunting then when I'm driving out there's always at least 5 or 8 of them in each field. When I'm hunting I see them but they're like 200 yards away.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

The shoot a doe before you get a buck tag is a great law. I wish Ohio did that. My dad and I wouldn't have to worry cause we always shoot at least 1 doe early in the season. It's not hard, shoot yourself that doe. Best time of the year to hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.