Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dear Moon:

Old 11-03-2009, 12:23 AM
Fork Horn

I haven't gone out much because I have been waiting for the weather to straiten up, then figure I would hunt hard once Nov got here. Ya right, then mother nature slaps me in the face with a full moon every night now. I'm just doomed this bow season. Please... for the love of God, moon.. GO AWAY!!!!! come back during the day
Old 11-03-2009, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I say screw the moon! I'm going hunting anyway... infact I just took the afternoon off work to go out. They've been hitting our fields pretty heavily lately, and the bucks are cruising the edges...
Old 11-03-2009, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I thought a full moon was a good thing. I saw seven deer on sunday night and four turkeys and the yotes were goin at it and that moon looked about full
Old 11-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mossberghunter93
I thought a full moon was a good thing. I saw seven deer on sunday night and four turkeys and the yotes were goin at it and that moon looked about full
It's not a bad thing. It just alters their schedule a bit. Instead of seeing the deer during the traditional times in the morning and evenings, they tend to move more in the mid day and midnight. So get to your stand early and stay a while.

The nicest part is that rut closely coincides with a full moon phase, so this moon and next may just be a good time to get to your stand.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Spike

i shot my biggest buck on a full moon at 1145 am...i like full moons...i sleep in and go out at about 8 or 830 and sit till 2...you jus have to keep a positive attitude about it all...the deer are gonna move no matter what!
Old 11-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

I understand the moon shifts the movement ot midday, how long before it starts shifting back toward the mornings and evenings? I have a real hard time going out at 9 and sitting until 2 and being home in the mornings and evenings, it just seems to go agains my entire hunting intuition.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

I agree....... I HATE YOU
Old 11-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

Keep in mind shortly after the full moon comes the full rut. Plan on activity during the couple days around the full moon to be at first or last light and during midday. It is a perfect time for all day sits and the deer movement here in SW Iowa is really beginning to kick into high gear. I've seen a couple bruisers here the past few days during early morning as well as midday.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IAhuntr
Keep in mind shortly after the full moon comes the full rut. Plan on activity during the couple days around the full moon to be at first or last light and during midday. It is a perfect time for all day sits and the deer movement here in SW Iowa is really beginning to kick into high gear. I've seen a couple bruisers here the past few days during early morning as well as midday.
Well if the Full Moon wasnt bad enough...calling for temps to climb into the mid 60's into the weekend. And I am sure that the next cold front will clash with this incoming warm front and dump another 4-5 inches on us. Maybe I will just fish till next years bow season.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not a fan of the full moon either. My evening sits usually are boring, late morning and mid day has usually been my best luck during the full moon. Sucks, I won't be out there till 3ish or so today, have some work to do 1st with my job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.