Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Would you hunt the morning or afternoon this week?? >

Would you hunt the morning or afternoon this week??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you hunt the morning or afternoon this week??

Old 11-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

Back in my "immature" days, I would just call in sick... :-P
Old 11-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by NavyDeerHunter
I know you're just asking for advice, but I'm gonna bust your chops a bit here...all in fun. I say...MAKE A DECISION! Make a decision for yourself and go for it. Look at the weather and see what it tells you, read some tea-leaves or ask the magic 8 ball or something like that.
You sound like my son when he says "Dad, what should I do?" I tell him to think about his options, weigh them out and go with what he feels is best. I know him well enough to know that he wants someone else to decide for him because that way if it does not work out, he can say "hey...I only did what you told me to do".
Really though, it's good that you ask for the advice, but at the end of the day you have to be the one to decide. Kill a deer and your decision will turn out to have been the right one, but just because you don't kill a deer does not mean you decision was the wrong one.
Good Luck in whatever YOU decide.
Dad is that you??? I just talked to you on the phone how did you get on the internet so quick lol thank you for busting my chops Navydeerhunter lol or should I call you my new huntingnet dad lol and yes you are correct about most of that. I was just tring to get some opinions, with the rut in full swing and the crazy moon phases its all a chance anyways. You sound I lot like my own dad and I say the same to my two sons. Just hard to take my own advice sometimes I guess, untill your internet father set's ya straight lol. The next several days all look good with not much heavy rain or high winds. And the temps are all pretty consistant. Think I'll ask my wife which day she'll let me go
Old 11-03-2009, 03:44 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BvrHunter
Dad is that you??? I just talked to you on the phone how did you get on the internet so quick lol thank you for busting my chops Navydeerhunter lol or should I call you my new huntingnet dad lol and yes you are correct about most of that. I was just tring to get some opinions, with the rut in full swing and the crazy moon phases its all a chance anyways. You sound I lot like my own dad and I say the same to my two sons. Just hard to take my own advice sometimes I guess, untill your internet father set's ya straight lol. The next several days all look good with not much heavy rain or high winds. And the temps are all pretty consistant. Think I'll ask my wife which day she'll let me go
Your last comment was the smartest one. Keep the peace with the family and all else will fall into place.
Good luck.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have actually been Bowhunting deer starting my 53rd year. For 30+ of them I Bowhunted Mornings & Evenings every chance I got. We have (my brother was with most of the time) always averaged many more deer in the afternoon hunts.
In the last 15 I have probably only hunted mornings a handful of times. When I am on a OUT of STATE hunt I hunt BOTH.

BUT-SOMETIMES it depends on the AREA you have PLACED your stand. I have seen stands that 'SEEM" to be better in AM but rare.

IF you are one that has a trail cam it should give you times to help you along in that decision. When it's RUT time-it's all good.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Spike

As many all day hunts as you can do right now will give you the best opportunity. The rut is just starting in the Nebraska/IA corridor.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

So you take the entire day off (your 2 half days)... hunt the morning & dont see a thing. Hunt the evening and get a shot at one in the waining hours of daylight. Find the blood trail then loose it.... what do you do? You've already taken your 2 half days... reason I ask is this just happened to a hunting buddy of mine. He got the shot late, lost the trail and then had to take a few hours the next morning and never did recover the deer.
Personally, I'm gonna hunt friday afternoon and all day saturday. Gives me the best chance of finding it if I get a late shot.

r/
Alex
Old 11-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

You really can't go wrong hunting any time of the day this time of the year. Its prime time to stick a big buck. They are movin' all day and from past experience they are moving around 11 or 12 to dark..but anything can happen at anytime...you'll never know if your not in the stand. So, if you have a chance to sit in the stand for a couple of hours, do it. You'll never kill him takin a nap.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kateraxl2381
You really can't go wrong hunting any time of the day this time of the year. Its prime time to stick a big buck. They are movin' all day and from past experience they are moving around 11 or 12 to dark..but anything can happen at anytime...you'll never know if your not in the stand. So, if you have a chance to sit in the stand for a couple of hours, do it. You'll never kill him takin a nap.
Everyone has been making some really good points, and I know I'm no the only one that has the big urge to be out there 24 - 7 but has to work 40-50 hours a week too. I think like flipstix (hope I got that right) said i may take Fri. Afternoon then that away if something does happen and i have to let one lay down for the night I have Sat. morning to recover it. Great advice from everyone and I appreciate it....Good luck and be safe out there