Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Would you hunt the morning or afternoon this week?? >

Would you hunt the morning or afternoon this week??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you hunt the morning or afternoon this week??

Old 11-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Would you hunt the morning or afternoon this week??

Ok guys and gals I have quick question. I am taking some half a days this week to get in the woods. My dad smoked two really nice eights sat. one in the morning and one in the evening both chasing doe's so there is no doubt the rut is in full affect. And with the tempature finally settling down this week(highs in the low 60's, lows in the 40's ) I really want to get out as much as possible. But I work till 430 everyday and with the time changing back that kills my hunts. So I decided to take two half a days at work. I was wondering when you would go out. One morning and one afternoon, or both afternoons, or both mornings?? I am torn between what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-02-2009, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd hunt evenings/afternoons for a couple of reasons, one being that I always feel like as the sun gets closer to setting that the chances of having action only get better, where as in the mornings, as the sun gets higher in the sky, I feel like my chances are slim to have action. Plus, most of my stands are positioned where I feel like I can get to them without bumping deer in the afternoon, where as in the mornings, it's a crap shoot as to how many I spook while walking in to them in the dark.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah I was reading the moon phase thread a minute ago and if any of that has logic I might be better off sticking with the afternoons this week as the deer should be moving more during the middle to later part of the day. But heck with rut its always a crap shoot
Old 11-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly, if I were you and I were taking 2 half days off I'd take some food and do an all day sit, especially right now, but that's just me. I like to maximize my time off!

Last edited by LittleChief; 11-02-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

10:00 - dark thirty (full moon hours for big bucks) especially from 10:a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

If i had some time off, id be hunting all day.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Afternoon definately! Wouldn't you be ticked off if you started seeing deer and then had to go to work?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

Ok so now that I have pretty much narrowed it down lol would you go out on either two afternoons, or one all day?
Old 11-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BvrHunter
Ok so now that I have pretty much narrowed it down lol would you go out on either two afternoons, or one all day?
I know you're just asking for advice, but I'm gonna bust your chops a bit here...all in fun. I say...MAKE A DECISION! Make a decision for yourself and go for it. Look at the weather and see what it tells you, read some tea-leaves or ask the magic 8 ball or something like that.
You sound like my son when he says "Dad, what should I do?" I tell him to think about his options, weigh them out and go with what he feels is best. I know him well enough to know that he wants someone else to decide for him because that way if it does not work out, he can say "hey...I only did what you told me to do".
Really though, it's good that you ask for the advice, but at the end of the day you have to be the one to decide. Kill a deer and your decision will turn out to have been the right one, but just because you don't kill a deer does not mean you decision was the wrong one.
Good Luck in whatever YOU decide.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would take a full day my friend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.