Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Magnus stinger 4 blade test results >

Magnus stinger 4 blade test results

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Magnus stinger 4 blade test results

Old 05-29-2003, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Magnus stinger 4 blade test results

Magnus Stinger 4blade 100grain

Accuracy 4 points
Plywood 5 points
Steel drum 4 points
Tire 4 points
Cutting diameter 3 points
Blades 4 points
Non-mechanical head 2 points
Total score 26 with a blade sharpness rating of A

The Magnus Stinger 4 blade 100 grain is a truly outstanding broadhead. It is a basic 2blade cut on contact style head, with the addition of small bleeder blades. The bleeders are small enough that they don’t hinder penetration to any great degree, yet they provide just enough extra cutting, surface to really open up the wound channel. I would say it is the perfect balance of penetration and cutting area.
I found the accuracy to be excellent. The heads grouped well and right with my field points at ranges out to 40 yards. In the plywood test the head penetrated the board with an inch or so of shaft. In the tire the head made it through the first side, stopping just after complete penetration. This is only one of two 4blade heads to make it all the way through the tire. The only other was the Muzzy 4 blade 100 grain, and I would consider that excellent company to be with. In the steel drum the head busted through the first wall with the tip penetrating up to the front of the bleeders. Again this is excellent performance from a 4 blade head. Other than the typical scaring of the blades from the tire, the head was in great shape after all the testing was completed.
For those looking to use a cut on contact style head, but would prefer a 4 blade model to increasing the cutting capacity and offer potentially better blood trails I think this is the best one I have seen. It offers just the right balance of all the things a cut on contact style head should have, without going overboard. For women and young archers with lower powered setups, the two, blade version would probably be a better choice, but for the average setup the 4 blade stinger would make a great choice.

Old 05-29-2003, 08:25 AM

Default RE: Magnus stinger 4 blade test results

Thanks 5shot !!
Old 05-29-2003, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great report 5-shot , got to love those magnus heads. Magnus and muzzy will be in the woods with me this year.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the great report 5 Shot. This is one of three heads I will trying out with my setup this summer. By the way, i see you gave the head an accuracy of 4. What fletching configuration did you use? 3 - 5" or 3 -4" fletch
Old 05-29-2003, 11:20 AM

Good report,

Is that one of your highest ratings for a broadhead yet?
Old 05-29-2003, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use 4" right helical vanes. Most quality fixed blade heads get a 4 score. A couple have recived a 5, slick tricks and ultimate steels. A 4 is an excellent accuracy score, but a 5 really indicates the heads fly and group with field points under most conditions.
A 26 is the highest score yet, only 2 other heads have gone this high. Remember though score is not everything. It' s just a comparison. If someone else put more stock in other factors than I do the scoring system would change to fit their needs. I consider any fixed blade head over 23 to be good, and any mechanical that makes it to 20 to be good.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:03 PM

5shot,

On your website the Stinger 2-blade(125gr) scored 24 so I was wondering if Magnus changed anything when they made 4 blade 100 gr Stinger, such as a different profile on the main blade? Your tests seem to be geared towards penetration so all things being equal I would think 2 blades would be score better??
Old 05-29-2003, 09:06 PM

I just checked the website and the main blade on the 4 blade version is shorter and a 1/16 of an inch narrower so I guess i answered my own question.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Remember heads also get 1 point per blade, so the 4 blade stinger gets a two point " jump" on the two blade version.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chris (5-shot):

Thanks for another great report. I will be adding a pack of these to the 100 gr. 4-blade Muzzys I have (and the seller of my BowTech added another free pack). They sound great!

P.S. Isn' t it great to post this here where there is no " Dufis?"

" 5-shot, are you sure you didn' t stand 1/4" closer to the plywood when you tested these heads? Exactly why do you consider them better than brand X broadhead?"

LOL

Quick Reply: Magnus stinger 4 blade test results

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.