Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
**UPDATE** wounded deer controversy >

**UPDATE** wounded deer controversy

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

**UPDATE** wounded deer controversy

Old 11-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Spike

Default **UPDATE** wounded deer controversy

listen up guys-i have some points i would like to share

*im not trying to defend my actions or change peoples minds-please just read

1-I spoke to many people and the advice was VARIED. i called my local DEC office and they said LET THE DEER SIT OVER NIGHT and go back the next day

2-when i first shot the deer, he went right down-kicked for a bit and then was out. when i came back an hour later, he picked his head up. he was not kicking and screaming and crawling away. i left beacause i didnt want to push him away

3-i recovered the deer today and he was in fine shape. i brought him home and will now be able to process him correctly

4-i spoke to several experienced hunters who said they have taken bad shots, tried to collect the deer to quick and pushed it away never to be seen again. i did not want to do that

5 - as i mentioned, this is my first year bowhunting (i have hunted gun for awhile) i got my bow in the spring, practiced 3-5 times a week until now, entered 3D practice shoots all summer, did my scouting in the woods, and did everything else to prepare correctly.

6- hunting is a lifelong process. i talk to guys who have 50+ yrs hunting and still learn new things every time they walk in the woods.

i was in a difficult situation and did what i felt was right. was it the best case scenario- maybe not, but my deer is well hanging in my yard. i appreciate those who did not jump on me. for those who did, please realize that there are few absolutes in any situation. i will use this experience to grow and become a better bowhunter. thanks

Last edited by burlyman; 11-02-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Spike

Put the deer out of its pain! you owe it to the animal to at least do that. Do whatever you have to, go back there and have your buddy walk on the front side of the deer to distract him and then walk up behind him and stab him with your buck knife in the ribs.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Spike

Go back out there now and put him down! You can't let him suffer all night long and you should have more respect for him than to be throwing sticks at him. Go back with your buddy and be prepared to either slit it's throat or heart it. It's not any fun, but it has to be done! You owe it to the deer not to wait until morning!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Walk up to him and put another arrow through his heart/lungs.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Spike

I'm gonna go with: put the poor thing out of its misery!

Of course its not going to run from you, it can't use its back legs! Its paralyzed. Scared to death im sure when you walked up to it but couldn't do anything to get away. Depending on what else you hit, theres a good chance he'll be staring at you again tomorrow when you go back there.

What you should have done is put another arrow in him or just slit his throat with your knife.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

yea deffinately go back and put him out of his misery. Go put another arrow in him. Deer can still get away if theyre spined ive seen it happen.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Spike

you should go finish the deer off,.. NOW!! then never go hunting EVER again..
Old 11-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Should've put a second arrow in/through him moments after the first one.
Now you need to go back and finish the job, tonight!
Old 11-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Typical Buck

any spine shot calls for a follow up shot
Old 11-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

burlyman = girlyman from the sounds of it.

How do you not know to shoot the animal a second time when it is lying there with an arrow sticking out of its spine and entire back half of it's body motionless while it is kicking with it's front legs trying to get everything in order? Come on man.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.