HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Please read. It's about a shot deer. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/308589-please-read-its-about-shot-deer.html)

dylandaniel 11-01-2009 05:07 AM

Please read. It's about a shot deer.

This morning on nov 1st I shot a deer. A decent buck. He was 11 yards quartering and I'm 14 feet in a stand. The arrow went in over half way. He ran off not as fast as I thought he would. He was carrying his leg. I shot and it looked high but the arrow was at a sharp downward angle. Tell me if you thinks it's a fatal shot or not.

Bow-4-It 11-01-2009 05:14 AM

Quartering away? Did you find a blood trail?

dyb3and88 11-01-2009 05:22 AM

quartering away or towards you?

DeerandbearhoG 11-01-2009 05:32 AM

Sounds like you broke the scapula ( shoulder blade) if you got good penetration you probably took out lungs or liver depending on the angle of the shot. I just killed a doe and took the evil quartering to shot, hit her high breaking the near scapula, glancing off the spine and sliced the liver but no lung . at the angle you describe you probably got at least 1 lung. Hopefully you waited a while before getting down, and walked quietly out of there. go back in the afternoon. You might not get good blood but he probably didnt go too far. good luck!

dylandaniel 11-01-2009 05:33 AM

Quartering away and I only looked 30 yards from where I shot him. I didn't wanna keep going because I wasn't sure of the shot. So no blood yet.

MATHEWS PA BOWHUNTER 11-01-2009 05:47 AM

1/4 away, carrying leg?????
You hit the off shoulder should be a dead deer!!!!!!

One lung for sure and liver maybe!!!

Give him a couple hours or more

good luck

Champlain Islander 11-01-2009 05:55 AM

Good luck sounds like you stuck him good enough. Give him a couple of hours then go get him.

dylandaniel 11-01-2009 05:56 AM

I know that most of the time squirrels bark at deer. But what about dead ones? Theirs a squirrel barking right where I last seen my deer.

dylandaniel 11-01-2009 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by MATHEWS PA BOWHUNTER (Post 3491216)
1/4 away, carrying leg?????
You hit the off shoulder should be a dead deer!!!!!!

One lung for sure and liver maybe!!!

Give him a couple hours or more

good luck

He was quartering away and was carrying the right leg witch is the side I shot him on. But I didn't think that it hit that far up.

MATHEWS PA BOWHUNTER 11-01-2009 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by dylandaniel (Post 3491227)
He was quartering away and was carrying the right leg witch is the side I shot him on. But I didn't think that it hit that far up.

Originally Posted by dylandaniel (Post 3491174)
This morning on nov 1st I shot a deer. A decent buck. He was 11 yards quartering and I'm 14 feet in a stand. The arrow went in over half way. He ran off not as fast as I thought he would. He was carrying his leg. I shot and it looked high but the arrow was at a sharp downward angle. Tell me if you thinks it's a fatal shot or not.

OK THAT CHANGES THINGS

you hit far forward!!!!!!!!!

Maybe 1 lung?????????????????????????

give him at least 6 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!! then go look for blood

good luck with that

READ THE POST ****STICKY RECOVERY WHAT TO DO AFTER THE SHOT ? BY ROB/PA