HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   ohhh man...couldn't be more disappointed (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/308539-ohhh-man-couldnt-more-disappointed.html)

vaclav 10-31-2009 01:01 PM

ohhh man...couldn't be more disappointed

Today I went out for a nice afternoon hunt. When I got out to my makeshift ground blind (natural blind), I found a stick that I had to move, so I moved it to the side, no big deal right? Wrong. I look up and see and hear a few deer running away (about 75 yards away) with their tails looking oh so pretty. So I am sitting there debating whether or not I should stay out and see if they come back. So I decided to stay and take my chances and see if they come back. Well, they sure did. This time I saw that one was a really nice doe and what I assume to be her fawn from last year. So she starts to walk around trying to sniff me out or figure out what I was and if I was really there. She can not see me what so ever, I thought that was pretty cool. So she walks around me for what seemed like 20 mins, of course staying out of my shooting lanes (which I had a lot), then grunted twice, and boom she was gone. She came within 11 yards of me, perfect broadside but on the wrong side of my chair so I had no shot. Man I could not be more disappointed, but having that happen was so amazing, seeing and hearing her grunt to protect her fawn and their skill with the nose, it's crazy. It just makes me want to go out in the woods even more. I can't wait for tomorrow. So I guess that I have a question to go along with all of this for you more experienced guys. Should I stay in the same spot and see what happens, or should I try and move to another spot to keep them guessing?

Vaclav

LittleChief 10-31-2009 01:06 PM

This is just my opinion, but I would move. I'm not saying to an entirely new location. Just a little is all it takes. You could stay in that spot and count on other deer wandering through, but you've got a momma doe who's busted you and she will look for you there again. You never know. If you stay there, the next time she busts you there may be the day that a buck is trailing her. As I said - I'd move.

dyb3and88 10-31-2009 01:10 PM

I agree with littlechief.

bawanajim 10-31-2009 01:13 PM

You might want to move just far enough to catch her looking for you in that blind, watch that wind if you go back.

MOTOWNHONKEY 10-31-2009 01:46 PM

i suiggest a swivel chair

*twodogs* 10-31-2009 01:55 PM

I'd move 40-50 yards up the trail she came in on keeping the wind in my favor of course.

Kris24 10-31-2009 02:24 PM

I would be in a tree about 15-20 feet high.

nodog 10-31-2009 02:50 PM

She thought she had your number and now she knows she has your number. You had them deer pegged, congrats on that score. Just a matter of time if a guy can get as close as you can.

vaclav 10-31-2009 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by MOTOWNHONKEY (Post 3490681)
i suiggest a swivel chair

If I were to move one inch, she wouldn't have had to try and sniff me out, she would have been gone as soon as I moved a finger. Also, I would probably have originally been 20 feet up in a tree, but where they walk there are no good trees that could hold my climber.

Vaclav