HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What a friend huh.......please read!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/308513-what-friend-huh-please-read.html)

hunter74079 10-31-2009 06:11 AM

What a friend huh.......please read!!

Well I have been posting about this buck that I shot on Oct 4th and thought was dead but showed back up on Oct 19th still alive! After almost giving up I have been hunting hard everyday to get another chance at him. I have a buddy that I invited out to hunt with me this year on my land. He has another lease and comes out to hunt with me ever so often. He knows the whole story behind this buck and has watched him all summer with me. Well not to drag the story out much further we were hunting yesterday evening and when we got back to the truck he told me he had this buck standing at 45 yds for apporx 5 to 10 min in front of the stand he was hunting. He said he came in checking a group of 6 does grunting like crazy! Its muzzle loader season here now and he said he didnt shoot him cause he knew I would be mad! lol and I have told him not to shoot him and he can have any other deer on the place. There are 3 other bucks over 140 that he has his eye on and I am glad he passed this buck up. I know he is telling the truth to cause I pulled the memory card from the camera where he was hunting.

So a couple of questions....would you guys do the same for your buddy that invited you to hunt on his place? and is asking him not to shoot this buck being selfish of me?

I manage this place very strict and put alot of time and effort into it. Please tell me what you think...thanks in advance

Windwalker7 10-31-2009 06:35 AM

Yes, I would do the same.

It is your property and your rules.

It would be no different if you had several fruit trees on your property and told someone they could pick all the apples they wanted but don't pick the pears.

diamondrack 10-31-2009 06:39 AM

I would do the same!! Thats what friendship and trust is all about.. If you are letting me hunt your property and give me regulations--then I would follow them..

Addictted 10-31-2009 06:44 AM

Yes, I would do that.

GMMAT 10-31-2009 06:47 AM

2 things:

1. I used to feel the same way you do about invited guests. I figured it was my hunting land....and my rules. So...they should hunt exactly what and what not I say.

I no longer look at it that way.

2. I figure anyone who's a "good enough friend" for me to invite hunting....deserves carte' balnche permission to shoot anything they want. If they don't have this.....just how good of a friend are they?

No wrong answer to your question, though. I certainly see both sides. I no longer invite ANYONE who isn't a REALLY good friend.

Kris24 10-31-2009 07:04 AM

Let me ask it this way. If you and a buddy both shoot a deer, that runs out on you, who gets the deer? I have always refused to take any animal that was shot by anyone other than me. If I didnt kill it by myself I dont want it. Now this situation is a little different, but when you finally kill it you will be knowing this deer could have been your buddies and not purely yours. Silly I know, but still true.--------For the record he is a good friend, and you are too for taking him hunting. However, knowing the deer could have been harvested by someone else and the only reason it wasnt is because you said "no dont shoot it", well that takes something away from the ultimate kill or at least it would for me. Either way I hope you get your deer. He is a beautiful animal.

Kris24 10-31-2009 07:10 AM

For the record I wouldnt want anyone shooting my deer either, but at the same time I wouldnt want to know they had a chance at him as well. If they could have killed it and I wouldnt let them it just changes things on the ultimate satisfaction I would get when and if I finally got him. Almost like your friend is giving you a gift instead of vice versa.

TFOX 10-31-2009 07:15 AM

I personally would never tell someone not to shoot something.

If I had that stipulation put on me,other than a management type situation,I would probably decline the offer.

hunter74079 10-31-2009 07:19 AM

Let me ask it this way. If you and a buddy both shoot a deer, that runs out on you, who gets the deer? I have always refused to take any animal that was shot by anyone other than me. If I didnt kill it by myself I dont want it. Now this situation is a little different, but when you finally kill it you will be knowing this deer could have been your buddies and not purely yours. Silly I know, but still true.--------For the record he is a good friend, and you are too for taking him hunting. However, knowing the deer could have been harvested by someone else and the only reason it wasnt is because you said "no dont shoot it", well that takes something away from the ultimate kill or at least it would for me. Either way I hope you get your deer. He is a beautiful animal.
Ok I have never stressed over a deer like this in my life!! Amazing how they can make a grown man worry so much! Anyway I was thinking the same thing as above and yes it is silly. I am a very good friend and love taking them hunting with me cause I dont like to hunt alone and love to share stories of what we seen that hunt when we get back to the truck. I dont want to tell him he cant hunt with me anymore cause I am not like that. Damned if you do and damned if you dont kinda thing!

I did tell him that if he came out next year and put in half the time, effort, and money in managing I would have no problem letting him shoot anything that walks by!

ManofTheFall 10-31-2009 07:21 AM

I see no problem in what you asked of him and as a friend he should follow your rules which he did. Anytime someone asks you to come hunt on their land you should be thankful and hope maybe your friend will return the favor.