Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What a friend huh.......please read!! >

What a friend huh.......please read!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What a friend huh.......please read!!

Old 11-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Spike

He's a better friend to you then you are to him. You're probably one of those dudes whose like "come on over and watch the game drink some beers hell we're gonna bbq" then charge them for the food and drinks. You're a marine too? What if your marines buddys were like you in the battle and you get wounded and they're like "well I trained a lot for this and I got a family so its just best for me and my situation if I just leave you here."

I took video of a 185 plus class deer last night on me and my best friends spot. He never got close enough but if he did I would have engine roomed him. I showed the footage to buddy and his dad. They were disappointed I didn't get a chance. I have passed this spot off to my buddy and his dad cuz I moved 2 hours away. Its their spot now but they see it as our spot. I not only told him everything about the encounter but I told him where to setup so he could have the best chance. He's there as I type this and I prayed today that he would smoke that monster. My buddy is like my brother and we treat each other like such. I'm sorry you don't have that relationship with your friend. I hope to God that my buddy shoots that deer cuz I plan to drive 2 hours to see him tonight. That's how we roll though. The bigger deer he shoots the happier I am for him and vice versa.
Well I didnt expect to get this much feedback from a simple little question but some people seem to judge someone on here. I think that telling me what kind of friend outside hunting is going to a little extreme. Have you ever even been in the Marines? Have you ever been in battle? If so you know that is not an attitude one would have and VERY far away from the question I asked. I am a great friend to alot of people and an even better one than most are back to me.

I guess I need to tell my buddy that I just want to hunt alone for the rest of the year because I am selfish. I make the rules on my land as I know several of you do too. I told him the stipulations before he agreed to hunt here and still wants to hunt with me. I am sure if he had a problem with it then he would of declined.

And yes he wants to shoot that deer as bad as I do and I will probably tell him he can when he comes out next time. This has drove me crazy this year and hunting is suppose to be enjoyable. Again I say its amazing what these huge whitetails will do to a man!!

NEXT YEAR I AM GOING AT IT ALONE!!!
Old 11-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Spike

Hunter74079 I think you should do what you want. I already posted on this thread earlier and you responded directly. At this point I want to say I think you should not keep your friend from hunting with you. He did agree to your rules, and he does have the opportunity at some truly nice deer there. Even if he has to pass on your personal giants. Dont take everything these people are saying so serious, because the truth is that most of us dont have the hunting ground you do. I think all of us would like to have friends like you to hunt with. Heck man, if you asked me to come hunting with you I would go and I would honor your wishes. There seems to be plenty of deer there to share. Having said this I still feel the way I did in my earlier post. It just isnt the same if you know someone else could have killed the deer ..... oh well you can read my previous post. No need to say the same thing again. Good luck to you and thanks for serving your country for the rest of us. God bless you.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Spike

To me, it wouldn't matter. At our hunting camp, we are happy for anyone and everyone who takes a nice mature buck, even if it isn't our own. If it were me, i would give him permission to shott whatever he wanted (within the QDMA guidelines)
Old 11-05-2009, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

Your land your rules...agreed

Would I hunt or ask anyone to hunt by those rules no...When my hunting buddy kills a deer, the bigger the better and I also do not have to deal with the mess, unless he needs help. I just get to brag what WE did, and let him deal with the mess.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think he is a great friend for doing what you asked! However I wouldn't have asked that of a friend over a deer. It sounds like the deer is more important to you than your friends. There are always going to be more deer in the woods. Great friendships are sometimes hard to come by.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

I honestly think you are doing no wrong by making that "rule". Its your property and you put alot of work in to make this hunting spot great.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would never tell someone not to shoot a specific deer, I'd be happy for a friend if he got it.

'growing big bucks" something does sound right there.

He looks kinda skinny in that first picture hope he's still actually healthy, and doesn't have an infection.

So if you shoot him now and mount him, you won't think to yourself when you look at him on the wall my buddy could have killed him?
Old 11-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

This has drove me crazy this year and hunting is suppose to be enjoyable. Again I say its amazing what these huge whitetails will do to a man!!
That's why I stopped worrying about the size of the racks and started taking kids huting.

I've seen trophy hunting turn people into real idiots at times.

NEXT YEAR I AM GOING AT IT ALONE!!!
That will be great for you, no one to share the hunt with at the car or the camp.

Won't have to worry about anyone shooting "your" deer, but no one to high five when you see the one that they shot either.

I'm so glad I started taking my son and some of his buddies out hunting, it got me out of the ego trip that trophy hunting can become.

Much rather see a kid, or a teenager kill somthing now.

Heck, calling in Turkey's for other people is one of my biggest thrills now.

You can have the "big racks" I'll take the memories.

Last edited by Charlie P; 11-05-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by early in
Read the original thread again. He didn't pass on this buck, he grazed/missed it and would like another chance at him. Pretty simple.
He wants the friend to pass is what I thought he said. Just putting myself in his shoes. Wouldn't want to be telling the story of how I got the deer and then the other guy say "could've been mine but I let him have it." Wouldn't want to be the one that didn't get it either.

Whatever, like I said I'd take a deer others have tried to get like this story is running over one people left for me to get.

Nothing wrong with friends helping each other out either.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

glad u got a good friend like that a friend and me were watching some turkeys last spring and we were gonna hunt them together (note we have always hunted together and had spots that we wouldnt hunt unless both were together) he called one morning and told me he shot two of them. he went with out me! if a friend is good enough to hunt on my land they can shoot what they see except we do QDM so as long as they go by those guide lines. no wrong answer to ur question