Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What a friend huh.......please read!! >

What a friend huh.......please read!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What a friend huh.......please read!!

Old 11-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by hillrunner
If I didn't want them to shoot a certain buck, I wouldn't invite them to hunt at all. And if I was your friend, I would have declined the invitation if I was told I had to let a certain mature buck walk.
Can't argue with that high level of maturity.

Just thinking about it though, shooting a deer someone had and passed on wouldn't be something I'd be all that proud of, just me. Kind of like a hand out.

Give me something others have tried to get but failed.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by nodog
Can't argue with that high level of maturity.

Just thinking about it though, shooting a deer someone had and passed on wouldn't be something I'd be all that proud of, just me. Kind of like a hand out.

Give me something others have tried to get but failed.
Read the original thread again. He didn't pass on this buck, he grazed/missed it and would like another chance at him. Pretty simple.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Spike

i think you should have waited until you have taken the buck you want before letting someone else hunt your property,but he is one hell of a friend
Old 11-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Fork Horn

From what I have read you hit this buck once and didn't get the job done.

If you asked your friend not to shoot this buck because you felt a moral responsibility to finish the job yourself, I can understand that.(May not agree but understand)

If you asked your friend not to shoot this buck because of some sort of antler envy then that is just plain chicken $&!t.

Only question I have is would you have reacted the same way if it was a doe?
Old 11-02-2009, 04:33 AM
Spike

From what I have read you hit this buck once and didn't get the job done.

If you asked your friend not to shoot this buck because you felt a moral responsibility to finish the job yourself, I can understand that.(May not agree but understand)

If you asked your friend not to shoot this buck because of some sort of antler envy then that is just plain chicken $&!t.

Only question I have is would you have reacted the same way if it was a doe?
I started managing this property when I got out of the Marines 4 years ago. When I was on leave and hunted this property in the past there was only a couple of bucks on the property and was not unusual to only see a spike and basket racked 8 point. The does were out of control and the ratio was probably 5 does to 1 buck. I came in and put food plots in, cleared openings, created a sanctuary, hung treestands, and started a supplemental feeding program with record rack. All of this was done with my money, time, and effort by myself.

This summer my buddy was interested in this place cause he was seeing what I have done with it and some of the deer I was taking. I invited him to hunt here before this monster of a deer showed up. Was I suppose to tell him that he cant hunt out here until I shoot this deer?? or not at all?? After he showed I got approx 300 trail cam pics of him and continued to watch him. My buddy knew that this was a big deer and told me how he would like to shoot him but understood that I had worked hard and said he would be more than happy with the other big ones that were there. I DONT believe that I am chicken $#it for telling him not to shoot this buck. If it was antler envy then so be it but all this managing aint cheap.

As you all know I arrowed this buck a little high on the 4th day of season and after watching this buck all summer I felt like I lost a family member. I was not blaming any equipment just myself for rushing the shot. So yes I do want another shot at this buck and believe I deserve it.

As for your question about if I would of reacted the same way if it were a doe....well probably not cause I am not in the business of growing big does I am growing big bucks. I know does are important in managing but I just love seeing a buck that I pass on now possibly growing into something like this. I am different than most of my friends that would have shot half the bucks I passed on this year but I see the future in the buck not the present.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:57 AM
Fork Horn

They are your rules and a good friend will honor those. I understand your history with the animal and that is respectable. Personally, I agree with GMMAT. If I have a good enough friend to take hunting, then he can take anything I would. I would be happy for him.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have done the same, because you invited me to hunt there and asked that I not shoot this one buck. Enough said.

When I invite people out to hunt with me, I normally tell them they are free to shoot whatever they want. The only rule I have is, if you shoot a buck, it must be mounted.

You have a very special relationship with this one buck and I can understand asking people not to pull the string on it, wanting to finish the job yourself. I think it is very acceptable that you feel this way and ask this of your friend. I also believe that you have a very good friend to not have dropped the hammer on him, I know I have a few buddies that would have stabbed me in the back. Good luck and I am hoping like a big dog you get your second chance.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by GMMAT
What's with this phrase "my deer"?

Last time I checked...they belonged to the state in which they resided, until tagged.
Are you serious?? Surely you don't think someone was actually claiming ownership over the deer do you? That is something that people just say, it means nothing else. That is what I like to call nit-picking someone's conversation. In actuality my house or my truck or my fourwheeler aren't really mine since they are financed. I guess I should not use those terms either.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a network of managed property that I hunt every season. One is my own tract and the others are owned by good firends of mine that bowhunt as well. There is NO WAY that I would allow a person to bowhunt my property that I wouldn't allow to shoot any mature buck they wanted. Our only policy is that NO young bucks can be killed. However, there is no minimum or maixmum score requirements..... it's simply shoot a buck that you would be truly happy with.

Thus, I agree with the folks that have said, if you don't want anyone else to shoot "your deer", then do NOT invite anyone else to hunt where he lives!

Seems foolish and selfish to expect a friend not to shoot his biggest buck ever because you want ANOTHER crack at 'em?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

i just hope you get a crack at him....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.