Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What a friend huh.......please read!! >

What a friend huh.......please read!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What a friend huh.......please read!!

Old 10-31-2009, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

I'd say YOU ARE SELFISH and your buddy isn't !
Old 10-31-2009, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

friends of no friends i would to keep the land. But when you said no i might say well i ant got one yet. But if you said no i would not shoot him. TO me it is not selfish if you want to manage the property right and how you want. Now if you just want a nother crack at him maybe. though if he was in pain and need put down i might take the shot and explain things to you. But i would say you both did right.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

your place, your rules. I do the same when people hunt my place
Old 11-01-2009, 01:26 AM
Fork Horn

When I invite friends to hunt my stands, I like to look at it as team effort. I'd say let him shoot the buck, then take the photo with both of you together. Just getting a chance to see that buck up close and feel its antlers might make it worth it.

Last edited by deertale; 11-02-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:01 AM
Fork Horn

I recently shot a 140 class buck in Pa. One of my best friends is my hunting buddy. We scouted hard this year and had up 8 trail cameras looking for this buck which we got on camera in late Feburary. We worked as a team to shoot this buck and even though I arrow him I feel he is part of the kill. I would feel the same way if he arrowed him first. I know, that buck in the picture is a different class buck. He is enormous. Unless you have thousands of acres, that buck will probably travel miles when the rut comes in and neither you or your buddy will have another opportunity to shoot him, but someone else might. It would suck if someone you don't even know miles away shots him. Allowing your friend to hunt this property shows your a great friend. Sounds like your buddy is a good friend and has a lot of self control not to shoot that monster. Remember opinions are opinions and you will get many.

Last edited by dliz; 11-01-2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have no problem what so ever with you telling your friend what to shoot and what not to shoot. Every year we usually get together the last few days of the deer season here and do some small, slow deer drives with our bows (we've done well too). On some of the lands we get permission on the owners tell us what we can shoot and what we can't, some are doe only spots and others are big buck only spots. When we push the woods my dad owns (the woods I hunt) the ground rules are set before the hunt. No small bucks to be shot, only big guys. So I'm selfish according to some of you on here?
Old 11-01-2009, 03:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GMMAT
What's with this phrase "my deer"?

Last time I checked...they belonged to the state in which they resided, until tagged.
Considering we're talking about private property, until that buck leaves said property, it's "his deer".
Old 11-01-2009, 03:43 AM
Dominant Buck

No. It really isn't. A deer is a natural resource....and "belongs" only to the state in which it resides (until tagged).

You don't "own" the deer that happen to reside on your property.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:50 AM
Typical Buck

Only restrictions we put on guests that hunt our lease is no small bucks are allowed to be taken.

Who would you rather see shoot the deer, your friend on your property or someone you might not care for on someone else's property?
Old 11-01-2009, 03:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GMMAT
No. It really isn't. A deer is a natural resource....and "belongs" only to the state in which it resides (until tagged).

You don't "own" the deer that happen to reside on your property.
We all know that the deer or any animal for that matter belong to the state but come on Jeff, I know you know what Jeff (EI) Is trying to say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.