Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What a friend huh.......please read!! >

What a friend huh.......please read!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What a friend huh.......please read!!

Old 11-01-2009, 04:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, I think you got the gist of what I was saying. I didn't say he "owns" that buck, but he certainly has control over it's well being as long as it stays on "his property". Makes sense doesn't it?
Old 11-01-2009, 04:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I wasn't even addressing the OP with my comments. I don't recall him using the term "my" with "deer".

I see what you're saying....BUT....I think any time a hunter starts thinking about ANY deer being "his" (without a tag on it).....it's not good. I used to feel that way, myself. I don't, now.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:30 AM
Fork Horn

What's with this phrase "my deer"?

Last time I checked...they belonged to the state in which they resided, until tagged

I believe they belong not to the state but to the land they walk on before they are havested. The state just make rules not ownership.

Yes I do agree with you putting stipulations on that one buck. Some people dont realize how much work is involved with land management and how costly it is to keep it up every year. For all im concerned you are a good friend for letting him harvest anything else he wants just not that one buck that you worked so hard for. They are right it is not your buck and is open for anyone to harvest but a good friend would just be considerate to let you have a chance to harvest that animal.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Guys....wild deer/animals are natural resources.....and, they're controlled by the state. If any entity "owns" a wild deer.....it's the state it resides in.

I can understand how landowners feel like they own the deer on their land. I just don't think that's the case.

In the overall scheme of things....this info. is unimportant. Just lends itself to mindset, IMO.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

If I was in your situation, I wouldn't hesitate to tell a friend...who is an invited guest...to pass on a buck I had my sights on. Just to put a different twist on the situation, if I were your friend hunting on your property, and I knew you were after a particular buck, personally I would not shoot him either if the oppurtunity presented itself...especially if there are other bucks that are just as respectable in the same area. You have a true hunting friend there.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bow-4-It
Just to put a different twist on the situation, if I were your friend hunting on your property, and I knew you were after a particular buck, personally I would not shoot him either if the oppurtunity presented itself...especially if there are other bucks that are just as respectable in the same area. You have a true hunting friend there.
I did this exact thing 5 years ago. I was hunting with my brother on some property that he has hunted on for years. I had one tag, It was the 1st part of December and I was looking to shoot a doe and concede to getting a buck. Guess who shows up 15 yards from me? 140" 10 point 4.5 year old, he got the pass. My brother told me I was nuts, I told him not so being I haven't put the time In hunting the big boys In the woods he hunts and he's also been hunting this buck. Honestly I would've felt guilty shooting that buck. It still doesn't bother me In the least that I let that buck go, none. No regrets from me what so ever.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:13 AM
Spike

I think the results are split about 50/50 just like me! I appreciate all your opinions on the situation. I would want my buddy to shoot it over a neighbor anyday. I hunt on 160 acres where I have my house on and surrounded by 1200 acres that share 3 fence lines. All is private land and the guy that owns 1200 acres only does cattle and does not have anyone leasing for hunting. They are good friends of the family and give me permission to do things on their property as I have the combinations to their gates. The other fence line is approx 120 acres of family land that they run a few cattle on but nothing but open fields. I understand that he will travel as there is alot of chasing going on.

Here are a few of the bucks on the property that he has to choose from. I dont think I am being selfish as he has many nice ones to choose from for free! lol

oh and just another one of BIG BOY!!
Old 11-01-2009, 06:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow, what a great bunch of bucks you have there!!
Old 11-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no problem you telling friends what they can't shoot on your property as long as its a deer you would also pass on.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Spike

If I didn't want them to shoot a certain buck, I wouldn't invite them to hunt at all. And if I was your friend, I would have declined the invitation if I was told I had to let a certain mature buck walk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.