Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bowhunting in light rain/snow and wind >

Bowhunting in light rain/snow and wind

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting in light rain/snow and wind

Old 10-31-2009, 04:56 AM
Fork Horn

I don't hunt with a bow with very much rain because of the blood trailing problems. Those things are tricky enough to track in dry leaves. Put some rain in there and the situation gets hopeless real fast.

That being said, I love hunting in a light rain with the gun. (back when I gun hunted a lot) The deer seem to get up and around feeding. It's almost like a light rain freshens up the browse and feed and makes the deer mouthwatering hungry.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

heck yes, the deer move great with a little rain... In my neck of the woods hunting in the rain and snow is a normal event!! But wind is another story, they just sit a little tight when the wind is gusting..
Old 10-31-2009, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have saw and killed Deer in all kinds of weather conditions, but I do have my favorites

One thing for sure! You have a lot better chance killing something in stand than you do sitting on the couch. Especially during Rut, be there whenever you can. Regardless of the weather!

Dan
Old 10-31-2009, 11:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunted when a front was just hitting us last week. Nothing no deer or nothing. It was just sprinkling though.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

I have had more success in a light rain/snow then anything
Old 10-31-2009, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

I have gone out in 60 degree weather here in NY during the start of the season and seen deer moving when it was so warm you would swear it's a waste of time. In fact I got busted by a buck because I wasn't paying attention during weather like that. I've also gone out on a crispy 32 degree morning in the peak of the rut and not seen a single thing all morning long. It really makes you scratch your head sometimes, but the most important thing is to just get out and put your hours in.

In my experience, hunting when it's really windy can be good if you hunt an area that is protected from the wind.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

Light rain, snow, or wind isn't bad at all. Deer do move in that weather. Now if it starts getting heavier they seem to bed up. Not always, but in my experiences they don't move in heavy rain, wind, or if it's like a blizzard out.