Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Pass those smaller bucks. >

Pass those smaller bucks.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pass those smaller bucks.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Schultzy
Why all the negativity towards the OP? He's not telling you what to shoot, just telling you what can happen If a person has the resources.

Sorry, Steve, but taking the subject line of the thread at face value, it sounds exactly like being told what not to shoot.

Still, I didn't intend for my post to be negative. I simply stated how I feel about hunting in response to how he feels about QDM. I kept my opinions of QDM to myself. If I voice those opinions, you will undoubtedly sense some negativity.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

As I always say, each to their own. I posted that because I hear alot of guys complain that they never see big bucks. Then I ask them do you just shoot any buck that walks out? They say yes and then I say there's your problem. So, before you slam a person for just making a suggestion to those kind of people, read a bit more closely.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, that was meant for people who can, and people that want to see bigger bucks. I understand some of you guys need meat or you just don't care what size the rack is, but that's you guys. This is meant for people who want to do this.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

Come hunt New York and see how far that gets u....there aint no QDM here!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by silverskin
Come hunt New York and see how far that gets u....there aint no QDM here!!!
Thank god, Ill take QDH(quality deer hunting) over QDM anyday.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let me preface this by sayng this is intended for those who want to see larger bucks or want to practice some sort of QDM. I am not preaching that we all should use QDM, but if you would like to, or do, read on.

QDM starts with one person at a time. Myself and my brother hunt a public piece in north central PA. We try to pass smaller, but legal, bucks in hopes they survive and become bigger deer. This isnt to say that a day later this buck wont be shot by another hunter. BUT, atleast I gave that deer the opportunity to survive and that was MY job while practicing QDM. Some guys use the excuse that "if I dont shoot it, someone else will" then they blast him--thats a pisspoor attitude. That, at the very least, is a copout so that they can shoot smaller bucks, YET complain about only having and seeing small bucks as well.

If we believe that what we are doing is too small, a goal can never be accomplished. If you hunt on public land, all you can control is the decisions YOU make. While these decisions may not make monumental changes, it does have an impact on the deer herd. So, for those of you that complain about only seeing small bucks, and you would like to potentially see larger bucks, pass the next small buck that crosses your path. Who knows, you might see him next year. Let em go, watch em grow.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's always funny how whenever someone makes a thread that mentions shooting larger/older bucks,... you get the same group of "brown & downers" whine and complain about how if they don't shoot the deer in front of them then someone else will! GIVE ME A BREAK!

If deer were as naive and as easily killed as some of you make it sound... there wouldn't be any deer around! Also, if they were that easliy killed a LOT more of you would be able to tag them!

Deer hunting is full of individual choices, from your bow, b-heads, arrows,.... right down to the deer you wanna shoot. If a deer comes by that you'd really like to use your tag on than by all means shoot it. However, as suggested... don't feed us all the BS about how you MUST shoot the deer before someone else does! Also, if you're settling for smaller/immature bucks that you certainly don't EVER have a reason to bitch and cry about there being no big bucks where you hunt!

I always thought it was just human nature to set goals and try to raise the bar.... part of what makes the game fun and keeps it challenging. Obviously many don't see it that way at all... it's kinda sad really and I'm thankful that most of these wankers aren't my neighbors!
Old 10-30-2009, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, that was meant for people who can, and people that want to see bigger bucks. I understand some of you guys need meat or you just don't care what size the rack is, but that's you guys. This is meant for people who want to do this.
I think the disconnect here is this:

In Ohio, Illinois, Kansas, a 120" deer is a small deer. In a lot of places and for a lot hunters, a 120" deer is something that they only see once in their life.

For the average guy, they can't believe the guys on TV passing on big 8s and nice 10s because they are too small. These would be career deer for them.

It's not that passing on small bucks is not their thing, they just will never have the opportunity.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

.308, you are correct. For some areas, 120 is huge, others 120 is a deer to pass. Thats still fine, in PA a 100" deer is a good size buck. Some may opt to pass and some may say to take it.

The important thing is, for your area, make wise decisions. In PA, I might take a 100" deer. Where as in Ohio, that same 100" deer would geta free pass. I don't think its too much to ask people to micromanage their own immediate areas.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here in Maine we have some really big bucks. The antlers might not get that big though.. The racks are lacking what the body size is not.. A spike up here would be the size of some of your folks big bucks in body size.. None the less we have a different situation where deer numbers are low due to the winter months as well as predators. Survival up this way is everything. No doe hunting of anykind in my area. A spike would be OK to shoot if you can get a shot at one. I would rather take a big buck like I have in the past but with our low numbers. You are lucky to even see a nice buck at all. Actually though the big buck has a better chance of making it through the tough winter months that so many deer up here face. So to each thier own if it suites them or makes them happy with it..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 10-31-2009 at 12:34 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.