Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Pass those smaller bucks. >

Pass those smaller bucks.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pass those smaller bucks.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, Scott, I never saw a buck tree before!! I thought they came from doe! (Just kidding.) Nice pics.
And you will never again. My wife had me cut that tree down so we could get a pool No big loss, though. It was a poplar and broke branches off in every storm.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
Why do some people think you need to shoot a P&Y deer to enjoy hunting?
Thank you -

Originally Posted by GMMAT
How about everyone shoot the buck that makes them happy???????
and thank you -

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
A 120+ class 10 pointer would be the deer of a lifetime for about 90% of hunters.
and thank you.

I hunt the way I want to hunt and I kill what ever trips my trigger on that particular day. I hunt deer, not antlers. If I kill a big buck, great! If I kill a small buck or a doe, great! For me, it's about the hunt and the kill, not the size of the antlers.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

Judge Smails: Ty, what did you shoot today?
Ty Webb: Oh, Judge, I don't keep score.
Judge Smails: Then how do you measure yourself with other hunters?
Ty Webb: By height.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

I agree with LittleChief 100%! Go with whatever you believe and don't try to foist it on someone else. Self righteousness is unbecoming! My signature says it all for me!
Old 10-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd opt for a doe over a small buck on private land. But I have access to plenty of private land to choose from--a lot of guys don't. On public land (which I hunt a lot as well), if it's half decent, it's as good as dead Of course, I'm speaking from a firearm standpoint. I would shoot anything with a bow 'cause I have yet to do that! Gonna give it another shot today and tomorrow
Old 10-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why all the negativity towards the OP? He's not telling you what to shoot, just telling you what can happen If a person has the resources.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

That said, I don't buy into this passing on small bucks to grow whoppers I got whoppers where I hunt, and I also see small bucks, and allot of those puny bucks get whacked, so where did the whoppers come from????
Are you being serious? They get big or old by not getting shot, passed on or whatever.

Originally Posted by Gundeck
That is great, but you have to have some control over the land in the area you hunt. If you pass on those 120's and the guys a half mile down the field are blasting everything with four legs that walks past, all you did was allow them to fill THEIR freezer. I would love to have a few hundred acres to manage, but my fifty acres is just a rest stop along the path to "the killing fields".
I agree and disagree. Letting that 120" buck pass can still reward you. By letting that buck pass another hunter may shoot him ending their season but It will also save the life of a bigger buck your after and leave that one for you. The point I'm trying to make Is every buck you pass on may open the doors for another hunter but It also might save the life of a buck your really after being that person filled their tag and Is done hunting.

Gundeck, I do know where your coming from though, I deal with this every year. Yes It's frustrating but If the hunter Is happy and Isn't complaining about their bucks I'm happy for them. I'll never tell someone what they should be shooting on their land, I'll just offer them friendly advise If they were to ask.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Schultzy
Yes It's frustrating but If the hunter Is happy and Isn't complaining about their bucks I'm happy for them.

Thats about the best sentence in this thread !!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Schultzy
Why all the negativity towards the OP? He's not telling you what to shoot, just telling you what can happen If a person has the resources.
Uh , did you bother to read the title of the thread? "pass those smaller bucks" sounds like someone, telling someone else, what to shoot to me I also see my simple point has confused you, so let me simplify it a bit more , -shoot many small buck-still plenty buck left to get big-that why big buck live everywhere deer found.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

-shoot many small buck-still plenty buck left to get big-that why big buck live everywhere deer found.
Now thats funny lol lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.