Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Pass those smaller bucks. >

Pass those smaller bucks.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pass those smaller bucks.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default Pass those smaller bucks.

I have been passing on smaller bucks for the past 5 years. I have taken some nice bucks, the nicest was about 120 class typical. The past 2 years I have been passin on 120 class bucks. Last year I passed on a nice typical 10 point that prolly went 120s, and I had him at about 12-15 yards and had my sights on him, but then said no; got to pass on those bucks so they get a little bigger.
This year, my dad and I have seen some very nice bucks. 2 of the bucks we saw were the biggest bucks we've seen so far this season. One was a typical and the other was a non-typical, and they both were 180s if not 170s. Along with those bucks we have seen at least 6 bucks that go 130-160. Also, we have some nice 120 class bucks that we're hoping make it to next year, so they can be 130s-140s. So, if you can start passing on those small bucks, you'll see a great increase in the number of bigger bucks that you'll see.
When my dad and I weren't passing on smaller bucks, we would see a biug buck here and there. Now we see them alot more. This will work for you if you start passing on those smaller bucks, and eventually you'll be rewarded with a very nice buck; and probably the biggest buck you've taken and possibly be a record buck.
With the rut right around the corner, you'll see lots of small bucks chasing does and coming to your calls. Let them walk, and in 2 years they'll be a 130 or bigger. I've had 14 bucks I could have shot this year, but I tell myself in a couple of years, they'll be shooters. The moire smaller bucks you let go, the more bigger bucks you'll have where you hunt. So guys, pass them smaller bucks, and let them turn into big bucks!
Old 10-30-2009, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is great, but you have to have some control over the land in the area you hunt. If you pass on those 120's and the guys a half mile down the field are blasting everything with four legs that walks past, all you did was allow them to fill THEIR freezer. I would love to have a few hundred acres to manage, but my fifty acres is just a rest stop along the path to "the killing fields".
Old 10-30-2009, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

Obviously some are seeing no more than the antlers on the head! Where me, I have three kids and wife to feed. Not to mention the money time and effort I put into the sport and hobby I love so much. So personally i let what I want go, and shoot what I want even if it is a younger buck!! Depends on the situation at the time and how much meat I have. Do I shoot everything that passes by? Absolutely not! But well I shoot a small buck, you bet your @$$
Old 10-30-2009, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Exactly I have no control over pretty any land I hunt on and even the land I do sort of have a say in gets trespassed and pushed with out permission as soon as the orange army gets the go ahead. I too though have passed on a lot of smaller sized bucks and recently closed the deal on not the biggest bruiser in the woods but one that I would be happy with at the end of the season.

I agree though if everyone was as open minded as the rest and we all agreed on QDM and let those small ones walk the increase in bruiser bucks would increase. I do my part and I suppose that is all I can do. If the ones I passed make through till next year awesome!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why do some people think you need to shoot a P&Y deer to enjoy hunting? If your goal is a 125''+ go for it, if a spike gets your heart pounding, stick it and be proud, its your tag use it how ya want. That said, I dont buy into this passing on small bucks to grow whoppers I got whoppers where I hunt, and I also see small bucks, and alot of those puny bucks get wacked, so where did the whoppers come from????
Old 10-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Dominant Buck

How about everyone shoot the buck that makes them happy???????

1st 2.5yr (or older) old that makes my heart flutter is getting shot (at).
Old 10-30-2009, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by The Deer Destroyer
I have been passing on smaller bucks for the past 5 years. I have taken some nice bucks, the nicest was about 120 class typical.

Mr 120 is preaching the QDM. Got it.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I passed on a nice typical 10 point that prolly went 120s,
A 120+ class 10 pointer would be the deer of a lifetime for about 90% of hunters. If that buck is the biggest you've ever seen while hunting, why would you pass it and expect to see a bigger one? If you see plenty of 150"+ bucks a season, then I guess it's reasonable to pass on a 120 or so inch buck. It's just not reasonable to most and ludicrous to others.

Attached is my biggest buck so far. It ended up netting down to 115". It grossed 128". There was no way I would have passed this buck in hopes of catching him again in 2 years.
Attached Thumbnails Pass those smaller bucks.-2008-buck-pic-jack.jpg   Pass those smaller bucks.-buck-tree-3.jpg  

Last edited by BarnesX.308; 10-30-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by The Deer Destroyer
This will work for you if you start passing on those smaller bucks, and eventually you'll be rewarded with a very nice buck; and probably the biggest buck you've taken and possibly be a record buck.

Every thing I take with the bow is a reward! You don't have to have a record buck to feel proud!
Old 10-30-2009, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
A 120+ class 10 pointer would be the deer of a lifetime for about 90% of hunters. If that buck is the biggest you've ever seen while hunting, why would you pass it and expect to see a bigger one? If you see plenty of 150"+ bucks a season, then I guess it's reasonable to pass on a 120 or so inch buck. It's just not reasonable to most and ludicrous to others.

Attached is my biggest buck so far. It ended up netting down to 115". It grossed 128". There was no way I would have passed this buck in hopes of catching him again in 2 years.
Wow, Scott, I never saw a buck tree before!! I thought they came from doe! (Just kidding.) Nice pics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.