Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Suburban Hunting Tip >

Suburban Hunting Tip

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Suburban Hunting Tip

Old 10-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a good idea....and congrats on your doe!

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
My problem is getting to and from the woods with a bow. The woods near my house is about 5 houses down frpm mine. I have to walk down the sidewalk, in camo and holding a bow to get down there. Kind of awkward.
My buddy who strictly hunts suburban takes his bow and a pack with his hunting stuff and hunting clothes out at night to a pre-determined hiding spot in the woods. Then when he's gonna hunt, he walks through the upper crust yuppie neighborhood in his jogging suit (no lie - its hilarious) and changes when he gets in the woods. I keep asking for a picture of him in his yuppie gear, but he won't have it!

He hunts in NY in some of the richest neighborhoods around. No way he can get away with walking around in camo. He kills some slammers though, the big ones love those neighborhood sanctuarys, and he doens't really have any competiton.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I put all my crap in the kids' red wagon and tow it down the street. Mathews bow fits inside and I put the jacket and pants over it. If I turn the camo jacket inside-out, you can't tell it's hunting clothes. The way in is easy as it's still dark on a Saturday and everyone is still sleeping. The way home is a little different.

Getting the climbing stand in is a different story.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah I bought a cheap PSE bow for the sole purpose of hiding it like that so I won't worry too much if it gets stolen, etc. Problem is that I shoot so good with that bow I use it all the time and can't bear to leave it anywhere. I only paid $150 for it and I love it!

I had spots that I would only hunt at night to bring the deer out. Other spots I would only hunt in the am because I knew everybody was at work/school.

That's a great tip about the body bag, although I would be worried about some neighbor calling the cops! I can see though how it would hide all evidence of hair, blood, etc bringing it out. Who wants to go out for a walk and see a blood trail? (in suburbanville)

I always pack out my gut piles too (a big plastic garbage bag). Don't want the neighbor dog bringing home a treat to the house!

Great story about the jogging suit!
Old 10-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats and great tip! The buck I arrowed last year stumbled about 100 yards through our woods up the ditch/right of way and collapsed right before he was about to cross the county road into hundreds of acres of corn. It made for an easy drag, er, ride on my handtruck back to the house. I got some funny looks and some thumbs up from passing neighbors and people I didn't know while I was tying him onto the handtruck. I don't think a lot of people realize how many bowhunters there are in the burbs and semi-urban areas like our's with lots of lake cabins and country homes around. Your tip makes a lot of sense in terms of being able to not rock the boat with the extremists and keep your hunting access. I know there are those out there that will say you shouldn't have to cater to them. But why walk into trouble when you can just walk away with your deer?
Old 10-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by c_str

I always pack out my gut piles too (a big plastic garbage bag). Don't want the neighbor dog bringing home a treat to the house!

!

One year, I left a doe for 15 minutes and came back with the handtruck and pure white german shephard, the neighbor dog, tore into the guts and went home with a nice suprise for his family. Now I rarely will leave a deer unattended like that in our woods for more than a few minutes.

Also, one more tip. The deer like to bed in the sloughs within and just outside of our woods, so for a morning hunt, I will have my wife actually drive down our driveway and when I get to my stand spot or blind, sprint the 50 yards or so needed to either and get situated as she drives away. The idea being is it was just a vehicle and any potential threat is gone. This has worked. If my wife is not on her way to work or not willing to get up on Saturday morning for this cunning tactic, I won't hunt the mornings or if I feel its a really good time to hunt, I'll go in pitch black darkness and walk slowly, grunting like a buck every now and then.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

For me it isn't about catering to them, but preserving my hunting area as the places I have to hunt have been drying up. The less people that I know hunt the better, if only to keep other hunters out. (gee you can hunt there?) Somewhat selfish I know, but I have had too many areas to hunt get bought up by leases, development, anti hunters, etc. I would think about getting my own, but I would rather spend that money on my kids college education down the road.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Northern Virginia, being discreet is important. There are a lot anti-hunters and there are a lot of 'politcally connected' folks. That combination could result in some very bad publicity in a hurry.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Spike

What ever happened to tradition. Maybe all these anti-hunters should be helping with the real problems in the country and not a few rednecks just trying to enjoy a good ol fanshion past time. I know I sure do enjoy it.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

Im in CG same thing as a sea bag. Ima pack one with me next time! Thanks!!