Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Is a pass through really the best thing. >

Is a pass through really the best thing.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is a pass through really the best thing.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by daveyrock
Does the weight of the arrow make difference [penetration]? I'm shooting a little lighter this year.
A bow is generally more efficient, when launching a heavier arrow. So mathematically, shooting lightweight carbon arrows will cost you a little Kinetic Energy (penetration) at the target.

The above is an excerpt from and article I read now and again, it has a lot of good stuff regarding speed vs weight.
http://www.huntersfriend.com/2007-Ca...ion-guide5.htm

And to muddy things a little more:
http://www.booneman.com/_terminalarrow.php

Last edited by *twodogs*; 10-30-2009 at 05:59 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:53 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
True i am down 4 out of 12 new arrows already. One broke from going throw the shed one broke from hitting the ground and i lost two. There 175 a dozen plus two had broadheads at 8 bucks a peice.
thats why i pay $4 an arrow
Old 10-30-2009, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rybohunter
Pass thru, ALWAYS, end of discussion.
x2. Generally, the exit hole will be on the under/lower side of the deer which means more blood ends up on the ground. makes the blood trail better. This is preferable to the arrow remaining in the animal. If the old man's theory was true, we would all be shooting turket broadheads.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

Although not my thread I'd like to here a little more from others
Old 10-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well lets see-I am considered an OLD Fart since I will be 68 in about 3 weeks. I killed my 1st deer with a Recurve in 1958 with a 45# recurve & wood arrow at 35 yds & it was a pass through & another 37 assorted Biggame with Recurves of 55#s through 65#s (Elk, Bear, Whitetails, Hog, Goat). Mostly right at 60#s.
PASS THROUGHs fellas. The "idea" of the arrow doing MORE damage by staying in has been around longer than all of us.
Since I've been on (guesstimates) Bloodtrails of about 20 Elk, 25 Mule deer, 30 wild Hogs, 100+ Whitetails (my own) 10 Bears & a few others I will say PASS THROUGH. I WANT my arrow to go through BOTH LUNGs also (best hit-my opinion).

I shoot HEAVY arrows compared to my Bow Weight-now a 60# Compound with 29" 2216 Easton Aluminums & 125 gr. 3 Blade Rocky Mountain heads. I shoot through MOST anything I hit broadside (thats what I aim for but animals MOVE sometimes). I do not know my arrow speed or my KE & I don't give a crap.
When I ran the TOURNY route THAT Bow was the fastest I could get out of it & I used the smallest arrow I could get away with-it WAS all about SPEED on targets even back then....

I DON'T shoot animals any farther with a compound than I did with my recurves. In fact-my longest kill (back when I was young AND stupid) was a 6 point Buck at 55 yds. & a 55# Groves Spitfire Recurve. 95% of my animals (135 I think roughly) recurve & compound has been under 25 yds. with a couple Elk at 35 yds... I have shot at Elk WITH a Recurve of 60#s at 45 yds. ALL the recurve animals were shot with NO Sights-ya know-BAREBOW & fingers.

If I was going to kill it with my compound I would have no problem shooting it at the same distance with my recurve.
I think my 1st compound kill was in mid 70s when the BIG change went from recurves to Compound & releases came about.

I'm guessing my average recovery on Whitetails has been 30 yds & less-recurve & Compound.

IF I don't get a PASS THROUGH I want to know why. Damn few for sure in all my years-this is my 53rd year of Bowhunting-have never purchased a Biggame Gun tag but think it's great for those who choose that as their way of hunting...

This OLD FART is playing games with a couple very LARGE BUCKS & I'm gonna get a PASS THROUGH this year-I've eaten my Buck tag 6 years now & very tired of it.... Good luck fellas. Take this old farts ramblings for whatever you want.....
Old 10-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll take a pass through and 2 holes anyday!

Dan
Old 10-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by brandonxc
thats why i pay $4 an arrow
I shoot the best arrows I can afford. That's one part of my equipment where I will Not skimp. I won't skip on the Broadhead either.

I'll waste an arrow for every animal I Kill if I had to. That's the least of my worries.

Dan
Old 10-31-2009, 05:05 PM
Spike

Who has more bow kills, you or the old timer?
Old 10-31-2009, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I want a pass through every time.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:29 AM
Fork Horn

The guys old school. Arrow stuck in the deer will do minimal additional damage. I don't think there is any debate on this one - pass through is the way to go for many good reasons!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.