Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Which way do you face your stand? >

Which way do you face your stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which way do you face your stand?

Old 10-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Which way do you face your stand?

i was just curious to what way you face your stand compared to the area you think deer will come from??? i try and keep where i think the deer will come from on the left of me or in front....which would be better....to be beside a tree or in front of if a deer looks at you?? if your in front of the tree you have a back...but on the side you stick out correct??
Old 10-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

when i setup i try to setup so the deer are coming from my left or right...

yes, i have to sit there with my head turned, but, i like to be setup so when they come out, they are within range, and walking a trail 15-20yds away...that way they are likely to be broadside and not right under my tree or walking directly towards me facing me and watching me the entire time they walk in

just my way of doing it...
Old 10-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Spike

I set up my stand on the opposite side of the tree where the deer come from so the tree breaks up my outline and they cant see me.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well i face it the way i want to shoot. I forget the wind i have had deer in every way possiable up wind down wind right under me and never had one smell me or atleast not enough to care. Where i am this year i have deer comeing in everyway. So i just hope one comes to a place i can help them out and let all the bad nasty air and blood out of them. Heck if i must donate a pint of blood they can donate some to even if it is not a choice.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you set your stand up high enough, you can position it how ever you like and remain undetected. Heck, at 25'-30' you can even get away with X amount of movement.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Spike

I shoot my bow right handed. I set my stand so that the most likely place a deer will come, I am shooting to the left. This gives me the least amount of movement to get a shot off. No turning or extra movement to possibly spook the deer. Of course, plans are well thought out, but rarely work out as thought.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

I point my climber so it intersects the paths from the right and left I expect the deer to be on. This way I have shots on either side of me. I also climb to a minimum of 25 feet once the tree canopy is gone.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm right handed, so I set the stand so the deer will on my left. It is easier to stand and shoot without turning your body much. But, you can expect a deer to come from anywhere, so plan ahead and clear some lanes in a few directions.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I try to set my stands primarily by where I think the deer will approach from. Ideally, I would be able to get my bow and get ready for a shot with the least amount of movement, so that's what I try to do. Doesn't always work out that way, currently my best spot is a stand where the deer are usually on my right side, and being a righty, that makes a bit tougher, but nothing I can't manage. With the wind direction I need to hunt that stand, that was my only option. Early In makes a good point too on stand height, if you get up high enough to need an oxygen mask, you can get away with a lot of movement. I've got one set at about 13', and that's a tough stand to hunt.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are a right handed shooter, you should position yourself to shoot over your left shoulder. Ideally, in a pinch, I just want to shoot from the seated position over my left shoulder if I cannot stand. I hate being face on with approaching animals. I almost always turn my stand so I have to look slightly left to see the deer as they approach from the predicted location.

I disagree with this bigtim.."Well i face it the way i want to shoot. I forget the wind i have had deer in every way possiable up wind down wind right under me and never had one smell me or atleast not enough to care"

No way. Get downwind of the animals your hunting at all costs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.